Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Merlin

Ja5on

War Hero
Is it true they can go on frigates? Also as AET what are my chances of getting to Afghanistan if I don't get allocated Harrier (I would really like to go).

Ja5on said:
Thanks but I think thats a lynx not merlin

Trust in Soleil. The Type 23 frigates are designed to fly Merlins.

G

guestm

Might want to check current ops also, Harrier has been pulled out of Afghanistan since June last year.

Naval Knowledge revision for you I think.

Ja5on

War Hero
Montigny-La-Palisse said:
Might want to check current ops also, Harrier has been pulled out of Afghanistan since June last year.

Correct but by the time I am operational, they might be back. After phase 1,2a and 2b training. Unless a miracle happens and we actually get the new JSF.

Edited as sentance originally had a grammer deficiency.

G

guestm

Ja5on said:

Correct but by the time I am operational they might be back after phase 1,2a and 2b training. Unless a miracle happens and we actually get the new JSF.

No, they won't be back ever. Tornado is doing the CAS job on Herrick and Harrier is being wound down.

2_deck_dash

War Hero
Woah woah woah woah!

When did Ja5on come home?

I thought you hated us all and were never speaking to us again after we nominated you for cock of the week.

Welcome back. ;)

G

guestm

2_deck_dash said:
Woah woah woah woah!

I thought you hated us all and were never speaking to us again after we nominated you for cock of the week.

Welcome back. ;)

Well he clearly hasn't been digging out learning about FAA capability and current Ops during his sabbatical.

Ja5on

War Hero
Ja5on said:

Correct but by the time I am operational they might be back after phase 1,2a and 2b training. Unless a miracle happens and we actually get the new JSF.

No, they won't be back ever. Tornado is doing the CAS job on Herrick and Harrier is being wound down.

That's a shame so it doesn't look too hopeful for me to get to Afghanistan then? Is there any way I could train and deploy with Junglie and then switch to Merlin later?

Ja5on

War Hero
2_deck_dash said:
Woah woah woah woah!

Welcome back. ;)

I thought I would pull a Zoidberg on you

JonnoJonno

Banned
Ja5on said:
That's a shame so it doesn't look too hopeful for me to get to Afghanistan then?
Join the Royal Marine Commandos. You'll get to go to Afghanistan and you won't just sit in the equivalent of a 2* hotel for the duration of your tour.

G

guestm

Ja5on said:
That's a shame so it doesn't look too hopeful for me to get to Afghanistan then? Is there any way I could train and deploy with Junglie and then switch to Merlin later?

Junglies will be Merlin at some point. Want to go to Afghanistan in a blue suit? Choose Merlin.

But if you want to go out there so badly, why not join the RM / Guards / Rifles / Paras / REME?

Ja5on

War Hero
Ja5on said:

Junglies will be Merlin at some point. Want to go to Afghanistan in a blue suit? Choose Merlin.

But if you want to go out there so badly, why not join the RM / Guards / Rifles / Paras / REME?

I like AET as a trade. I am interested in aircraft and learning how to keep them in the sky. I could also do with learning more practical skills in general.

Ja5on

War Hero
soleil said:
What appeals to you in particular about going to Afghanistan, Ja5on?

The chance to support the troops who actually risk their lives in Afghanistan by giving them aircraft that work when they need medivacs or supplies etc. Also I want to experience going on operation and I am worried the navy won't get to take a major part in one after this. Like they didn't between the Falklands and Iraq (I could be wrong about that I am not that good at history).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Press release: HMS Bulwark and Merlin helicopters ready for operations in the Mediterranean MoD News 0
Handler New Merlin Helicpters The Fleet Air Arm 4
soleil The Engineer: "Vigilance Control System Set To Be Tested On Merlin helicopter" The Fleet Air Arm 0
MoD_RSS Last training on the Navy's Merlin Mk1 helicopter Current Affairs 1
MoD_RSS Merlin helicopter bound for Middle East operations Current Affairs 1
trelawney126 Merlin with Red Side Flashes The Fleet Air Arm 15
soleil BBC Cornwall: "RNAS Culdrose Merlin Helicopters On NATO Exercise" The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil Lockheed Martin (Video): Merlin HM Mk 2 The Fleet Air Arm 10
Joint_Force_Harrier Merlin Overhead The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Rotorhub: "A Leaner, Meaner Merlin" The Fleet Air Arm 0
trelawney126 Merlin Spotted Odd Markings The Fleet Air Arm 4
smeeg Merlin model The Fleet Air Arm 10
soleil Navy News: "Next-generation Merlin Lifts Off" The Fleet Air Arm 0
scouse Merlin Overhead The Fleet Air Arm 18
L new merlin fleet Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
soleil Careers: Live Chat this Wednesday is with a Merlin Pilot The Fleet Air Arm 10
soleil FAA's first female Merlin Pilot receives her wings The Fleet Air Arm 14
soleil RN Merlin drops in on HMAS Toowoomba The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil Navy News: "Merlin fliers show their desire for Wings" The Fleet Air Arm 9
scouse The Arks not so Magic Merlin The Fleet Air Arm 0
theymademedoit RNAS Culdrose and the Merlin EH101 The Fleet Air Arm 8
Danny86 Need AET help! Junglie? Harrier? Lynx? Merlin? Anything!?!? The Fleet Air Arm 14
S Merlin operating costs The Fleet Air Arm 15
S Crab Merlin goes Ooops! The Fleet Air Arm 13
H Lynx or Merlin Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
H dud merlin The Fleet Air Arm 15
PartTimePongo Lockheed Martin UK Awarded 25-Year Merlin Support Contract Current Affairs 0

Latest Threads