Jack_sparrow

Midshipman
So I'm in the process of joining th FAA as an aircrewman. I've read on the royal navy website and the pdf files that they provide and it says that aircrewman, unlike pilots or observers, can only serve on merlin helicopters (either HCF or ASW). However, I have been in contact with an aircrewman via Instagram (@royalnavycrewman) and it seems he serves on the wildcats, as all of his photographs are of wildcats. He also had a picture used by 'forces news' about wildcats. Is there a special way to end up serving in the wildcats as a rating aircrewman or is it just a case of the royal navy not updating their info. Also, generally which helicopter is better to serve on out of the merlins and wildcats in your opinions. Thanks for any help.

Waspie

War Hero
With the rate that technology changes I'm not surprised! Must have been great serving on the good old reliable stuff.
Trust me, it wasn't THAT reliable!!!!

My only consolation in 15 years I walked away from everything I took off in!!!

Other wise - Pan Pan Pan!!! Fire on board!!! And only one full Mayday!!! Which luckily resulted in a successful landing at Dundee airport after the main gearbox packed up!!!!

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Trust me, it wasn't THAT reliable!!!!

My only consolation in 15 years I walked away from everything I took off in!!!

Other wise - Pan Pan Pan!!! Fire on board!!! And only one full Mayday!!! Which luckily resulted in a successful landing at Dundee airport after the main gearbox packed up!!!!
Fire on board! Pfft. I would advise the command to carry on with the sortie as briefed. ;) ;):eek:

Waspie

War Hero
Fire on board! Pfft. I would advise the command to carry on with the sortie as briefed. ;) ;):eek:
We did, it was only a sonar hydraulic pipe fire because we wuz working so hard trying to find the devils in the deep!!!! A squirt with the fire ext. then resume if no loss of pressure. Hyd pipes were 5000psi so got a tad warm, a few drops of hydraulic fluid and up she went!!!! 1st time - shat myself. 5th time, yawn - another hot pipe, do me a favour Mr Pilot man Sir - throw the fire ext aft, the central heatings too high!!!!!

Mark Dip

Midshipman
Very much depends on you and your interests.

If playing on an Xbox or PS isn’t your thing I’d very much doubt you’d enjoy tracking a submarine on sonar or the focus that operating a mission system for between 2 and 5 hours takes. Merlin 2 is more of a mission system based aircraft, that’s not saying Merlin 4 or Wildcat isn’t but there will certainly be more of it for you in an ASW/ ASuW Merlin.

Also don’t think that there’s less winching, load lifting etc in a Merlin 2. Not the case, as ASW ACMN have a very varied skill set to maintain, so most if not all sorties include a secondary roles element.
My advice, think what makes you tick, research all roles as much as you can. Ask questions and focus on a route. Please don’t pitch up for any role not having done your homework, that doesn’t seem to be the case so you’re on the right track.

Hopefully a Junglie, Merlin or Wildcat Crewman will be along with their take on it.
Good luck, keep going.

Jack_sparrow

Midshipman
Very much depends on you and your interests.

If playing on an Xbox or PS isn’t your thing I’d very much doubt you’d enjoy tracking a submarine on sonar or the focus that operating a mission system for between 2 and 5 hours takes. Merlin 2 is more of a mission system based aircraft, that’s not saying Merlin 4 or Wildcat isn’t but there will certainly be more of it for you in an ASW/ ASuW Merlin.

Also don’t think that there’s less winching, load lifting etc in a Merlin 2. Not the case, as ASW ACMN have a very varied skill set to maintain, so most if not all sorties include a secondary roles element.
My advice, think what makes you tick, research all roles as much as you can. Ask questions and focus on a route. Please don’t pitch up for any role not having done your homework, that doesn’t seem to be the case so you’re on the right track.

Hopefully a Junglie, Merlin or Wildcat Crewman will be along with their take on it.
Good luck, keep going.
Ok so judging by your reply and some royal navy posts I've seen, it is possible for a rating aircrewman to be on a wildcat. I assume it just depends on which RNAS you're put into. I think I would prefer a career where I'm not staring at screens as much and from what I've seen, I'm a fan of the wildcats and would love to serve on them. Id love to be a part of a smaller crew doing more practical things like supporting royal marines. Cheers for the reply and the insight.

Waspie

War Hero
Ok so judging by your reply and some royal navy posts I've seen, it is possible for a rating aircrewman to be on a wildcat. I assume it just depends on which RNAS you're put into. I think I would prefer a career where I'm not staring at screens as much and from what I've seen, I'm a fan of the wildcats and would love to serve on them. Id love to be a part of a smaller crew doing more practical things like supporting royal marines. Cheers for the reply and the insight.
Not so. You will be drafted to a NAS, (Naval Air Squadron). That Sqdn. will be based at a RN Air station. The squadron role will dictate what aircraft type you will qualify on.

Even the bigger Merlins will detach as either a one or maybe two aircraft 'flight' which will operate with a smaller crew, maintainers and aircrew.

During my time, I was on a single aircraft flight as well as being on a Sqdn. Both have their merits. The deciding factor is your ability to adapt to the circumstances and get on with the job in hand be it ASW or Cdo. It's a great job no matter which role your filtered into.