Merchant skipper tackled pirates

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Seaweed, Oct 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

2. BZ Skipper and crew

3. Welll done that man and his crew!

4. Well done that Skipper and his crew. Interesting comment on the actions of the Russian destroyer:
    The trouble was over by the time a Russian Navy destroyer hove into sight and offered to launch a helicopter. Later, the same Russian vessel caught up with the pirates’ “mother shipâ€, which harboured 29 pirates, and took off a quantity of assault rifles, handguns, satellite equipment and ammunition, before sinking her.

They removed the weapons and sank the ship, doesn't mention anything about prisoners. Did the forget to take the pirates into custody? Tsk tsk, slack drills. :D

5. Seaweed

I bet the pirates really want to claim asylum in Putin's Russia.

6. BZ to the Skipper and crew, butl back before the UN stuck it's nose into things and stopped merchant ships arming themselves, an attempt to run up alongside a large ship in a speed boat would have been a short but exciting career choice…

Even a moderately competent shot with an SLR could have killed everyone in that speed boat with ease.

7. Excellent work. Essentials for success appear to be:

a. Good leadership with foresight.
    b. Vigilent look-out.
    c. Instant evasive action.
    f. Decent crew alert system/comms.
    g. Effective, well-rehearsed contingency plan.
    h. Means to carry out plan.
    i. Swift and efficient execution of plan.
    j. Guts and determination of crew.

8. well done to them

9. Seaweed

(b) to (j) are all part of (a).

Also, there is clearly a market for surplus old-fashioned dan-buoy sinkers, boats alongside for dropping into..

10. And, presumably, d and e are missing from the list because they were chucked at the pirates in an offensive-defensive manner!

11. Seaweed - Or 12 lb cannon balls?

Broadside - Er, I was hoping no one would notice that. The missing essentials were 'decent grub' and 'a good sense of humour' (or was it 'more beer' and 'bigger women'?) but I thought that was going a bit too far. :)

12. Seaweed

Decent grub is by no means trivial. Making sure your troops are fed as well as circumstances allow is absolutely fundamental.

13. And if the grub isn't decent - refer back to the use of same as a weapon for self defence. A couple of oversized stodgy dumplings could be lethal in a confined space or if dropped from height!!!!