Merchant navy

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Chicogiz, Oct 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey, i was joining the royal navy to those who remember but i cant :) because my mum will not let me. Anyway ive been putting applications into merchant navy companys as a deck officer. I put a application into some maritime collage and was accepted so i could hopefully get a job on P&O or cunard liners and princess cruises, that what the collage runs for them companys.

But i would also like help from members on RR on nameing some merchant navy companys because ive applied to all i can think of. So could you help? Wish me luck :thumright:
  2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hmm, as much as I'd like to offer some sort of advice or assitance, but my head hurts after reading your post... 8O :?
  3. Earn your ticket with an oil company Shell Transport for example
  4. Ive applied to them just waiting for a response.

Thanks for your response.
  5. The MNTB (Merchant Navy Training Board) provide a myriad of links to training providers. I would definitely tell them about your mum not letting you join the 'real' Navy, should swing any application in your favour.

Gees that was hard to find! ^^^^^^^

Do not expect to be paid more than 8,000 for training (3 years worth) and you will have to pay your own accomodation fees at Warsash (£80 plus per week).

Have you thought about the RFA? I looked at joining the MN and the RFA seemed like the way forward, you even get to go to BRNC.
  6. I beleive the White Star line are looking for Crews!
  7. Thanks for that but tryed all of them to, sorry if it sounds rude. but thanks.
  8. Thankyou i will apply to them.
  9. Well I am pretty sure that regulatory body for MN training should have ALL the training providers listed on their website. I could be wrong, it happened once.

P.S I went to a few interviews and I warn you now that they are selective- after all they don't just want any Tom, Dick or Chicogiz leaving a yacht crew of 3 dead in the water.
  10. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Does Mummy know about this?? If so you could also try the Grey Funnel Line.
  11. LOL thanks for your help
  12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

In the meantime, perhaps perhaps you could take some English grammar lessons... 8O :wink:
  13. I got GCSE grade C in english :thumright:
  14. Heres the scoop Chicogiz.
    The training of MN Officers is a tax scam run by all of the MN companies.
    Whilst training Officers, the company (whichever one it is) pays £100,000 in insurance for that year, as the ship is classed as a training environment. If a ship is NOT involved in the training of Cadet Officers, then insurance would be more like £5-700,000 per year.
    When the Officer has been trained and passes all exams etc, then the company has no more use for that person, and, as you are NOT guaranteed employment post training, a vast majority find themselves out of work, as it is cheaper for the company to do that than guarantee employment.
    All is not so bleak, however :)
    Have a look at the miriad of sites for Merchant Navy type employment, and you will see that the trade is thriving.
    Maersk is one such company, with over 100 ships, none of which are older than 10 years.
    Also check out

Just don't expect it to be anything like the RN, and good luck.
  15. Thanks lamri and me myself dont think it would be like the RN
  16. And THEY say that standards have not declined :toilet:
  17. Mate why wont your mother let you join the RN? is it your age that is stopping you from joining of your own accord?
  18. Nothing wrong with a mothers love Chico, you'll never get the same anywhere else mate ;)
    In years to come, I have a feeling that you'll thank her.
  19. Jesus, I only just got a B. Honestly mate don't take the jibes on here too lightly as you really should look at trying to improve your grammar. I imagine that at Warsash you will be asked to write numerous essays!
    I used to be pants at all things written but look at me now- me myself can nerely right similar to someone what was edukated in tha 1950's.