Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Merchant navy?

Dannybongo19

Midshipman
Hi all,

So I applied for marine engineer in the Royal Navy, passed the test and interview with flying colours, but unfortunately failed the medical, I've been PMU'd. It unfortunate but I respect the standards, shit happens.

Im 19, and nearly due to achieve a mechanical engineer HNC and become time served as a fitter. Anyway, I'm now interested in the merchant navy, and am hoping that if anyone can give a thought if there's a good career, training, travelling and opportunities to be had? If any navy guys or anyone with experience on here can give me some opinions and info, that would be great!

Cheers
Dan

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Worth having a look at the RFA, Dan.

They are technically Merchant Navy (MN) seagoing Civil Servants and must meet the same medical standards as MN. The medical standards for entry have wider accepted parameters than RN so it is definitely worth checking out.

Good luck.

Dannybongo19

Midshipman
Cheers ninja,

I will check out the RFA.

Are the standards lower for what you must score in the psychometric tests and the interview?

Dannybongo19

Midshipman
Thanks ninja

I was a little put off the RFA due to it not being the military and I thought the standards were lower, therefore job wouldn't be as challenging etc.... (No disrespect to the RFA) will However I'm coming around to the idea! As long as you receive good technical training and get to experience the travelling etc..... It may be an option to seriously consider.

Badbuoy

Midshipman
Dannybongo

training is actually better than the RN and more widley recognised. in addition it will be as challenging and more sea time/travel.

i have seen both sides having sailed on RN & RFA ships.

Dannybongo19

Midshipman
I was wondering about training, I'd assume it's very similar to the RN, minus the combat/military related aspects of it? What makes it better Badbuoy?

And ahh Thankyou for clearing that up ninja

Badbuoy

Midshipman
you get full MN accreditation with the RN, as you put it, Combat/Military aspects.

reminder the RFA are now taking on more and more of the RN frontline roles.

i work in NCHQ and if you want to chat through the options im happy to.

Dannybongo19

Midshipman
Thanks badbouy

Sorry if this a silly question, what is NC headquarters? I'd really appreciate any questions you can answear.

I'm wondering where I stand in terms of my current quals, when I join, I'd have a mechanical ONC and HNC, my NVQ and 4 years experience as a fitter. Would this give me further opportunities and possible fast tracking?

Also as mention before, I passed the RN tests and interview already, would this essentially cut out the middleman with my application for the RFA?

Badbuoy

Midshipman
ad a Deckie, i would refer to my ME experts but would go some way. let me have your details on PM and i will pass them to the latteral entry team.

Navy Command HQ in portsmouth!

Badbuoy

Midshipman
Matt,

I would not wish to compare, but as an RFA Officer who has compleasted the PWO course and served in OPTELIC on CHATHAM i have a few thoughts.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Merchant Navy to RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 3
O Merchant Navy to Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 5
B Torn between Merchant or Royal Navy? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
W Going From Merchant Navy Training To Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 3
G Merchant Navy vs Royal Navy - Recruitment Process Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
S Royal Navy AB to Merchant Navy AB The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
N Merchant Navy to Royal Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
D RFA and merchant navy? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 33
S Merchant Navy RFA 39
soleil Crosby Herald: "Former Captain Of HMS Eaglet Receives Merchant Navy Medal" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
T From the Daily Mail: How the RN forges links with the Merchant Navy Current Affairs 40
M Join the Merchant Navy: Forget the Royal Navy The Gash Barge 35
ZCDW9 Joining the RNR with Merchant Navy experience Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
B RFA, MFA, RN Transport, or Merchant Navy HM Transport? History 7
I WWII Merchant Navy badge History 3
H A Merchant Navy Question History 9
NotmeChief Merchant Navy / RNR get Freedom of City. Current Affairs 1
D Merchant Navy Petitions 1
Chicogiz Merchant navy The Quarterdeck 18
S State of the Merchant Navy. The Fleet 6
S MERCHANT NAVY DAY Nearest & Dearest 6
M Merchant Navy Deck Officers in RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 29
MoD_RSS Wine merchant wound-up in court MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Review of Merchant Shipping Regulations MoD News 0
E Death of a Merchant Seaman: Leonard Gould Shannon History 3
M Merchant seafarer to RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 6
Wee-lad Stay on the merchant path or go boats Joining the Royal Navy 7
jesse A question for Merchant Johnny. Diamond Lil's 3
BillyNoMates Merchant ship. Be afraid - be very afraid. Diamond Lil's 18
Seaweed The Shape of Merchant Shipping Current Affairs 5
Tartan_Terrier RNR on Merchant ships? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 3
scouse Help wanted for the Daughter of a Merchant Seaman Current Affairs 6
Seaweed Log of merchant seaman after U-boat sank vessel Current Affairs 0
Seaweed Merchant skipper tackled pirates Current Affairs 12
N Russians sink Chinese Merchant Ship Current Affairs 10
Scran_Bag Is bl_ue a wind-up merchant ? Diamond Lil's 7
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seizes over 450kg in the largest methamphetamine drug bust in the Middle East MoD News 0
soleil FB: National Museum Of The Royal Navy: 215th Anniversary Of The Battle Of Trafalgar History 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity - Hosting Your Own Trafalgar Night/Pickle Night Dinner History 2
soleil Express: "Submarine Sparks Panic In Scotland As Onlookers Mistake Royal Navy Exercise For Fire" Submariners 2
sampost Jubilee Sailing Trust announces pioneering collaboration with the Royal Navy Sports and Adventure Training 2
soleil Royal Navy Recipients In The Queen's Birthday Honours List 2020 Current Affairs 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity: World Uckers Championship 2020 The Fleet 1
soleil The Times: "Life On The Ocean Wave: The Royal Navy Photographic Awards" The Fleet 1
soleil BBC: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: On board The Royal Navy's New Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seize £160 million worth of drugs in the Caribbean MoD News 1
higthepig Navy news September 2020 The Quarterdeck 0
soleil NWE Mail: "Barrow Built Submarine Becomes Inaugural Winner Of A New Royal Navy Commendation" Submariners 2
soleil New Badge For Trainee Royal Navy Submariners Submariners 18
M Royal Navy interviews Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1