Merchant Navy to Royal Navy

Hi all,
I'm about to qualify as an OOW, Deck in the Merchant Navy however am really interested in joining the RN; though the MN plays a very important part in the global economy, the RN seems to play a more vital and fulfilling role for me.
Warfare is the branch which interests me the most, however, being 28, I am too old to apply to be a warfare officer. Is there any other route into the RN, or perhaps once already in the service, whereby I could work in warfare and use my seamanship skills as an officer?
Thanks,
OOW

Thanks both; I've done a bit of reading into the RFA and it sounds like a good middle ground for me and my situation, plus, if successful would also be part of the RNR - perfect.

They're not recruiting for 3/Os at the moment, but I'll keep my eye out so when the times comes, I can look at making the move. Shame the pay isn't cracking compared to some MN companies.

On the RNR note, with regard to their commitments, would they be flexible in recognising that I'd be away for 4 months at a time. Or if I joined the RNR before joining the RFA, whilst working my notice at my current company, would they be flexible bearing in mind I was a MN officer and away from dry land for months at a time?

Cheers all and Merry Christmas.

On the RNR note, with regard to their commitments, would they be flexible in recognising that I'd be away for 4 months at a time. Or if I joined the RNR before joining the RFA, whilst working my notice at my current company, would they be flexible bearing in mind I was a MN officer and away from dry land for months at a time?
Two very quick responses, if I may:
1. The RNR was invented for MN Officers, so the need to be away is almost "in the constitution" for want of a better analogy. It's just a case of planning your courses well in advance, for when you are ashore.
Your knowledge of ship loading would be swept up by the Amphibious Warfare branch, your general knowledge of the MN world would be of use to the MTO branch, so well worth a look. In the longer term, with our new focus on providing crews for OPVs, who knows how we might use the likes of you.
Caveat: No call for officers in the Seamanship Branch as I type.

My usual mantra: Engage with the RNR unit you wish to join.

2. RFA Officers & Ratings are automatically "Sponsored Reservists", so you will end up on the books of the RNR is some form or another anyway. I am surprised to hear that they aren't recruiting 3/Os as I thought they were short - might be worth a call to the recruiters in the NY to get a steer (ahem) on this.

I can't comment on rates of pay but, IMHO, the RFA get the best of both worlds. The integration between the two services gets closer by the day. Treated as CS, but all the advantages of RN life; better accommodation afloat, hotels ashore; better leave, yet same courses. what's not to like?

We have an RFA expert who can doubtless advise far better than I. Paging @RFA at HMS Raleigh

Good luck.
BH