Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Merchant Navy to Royal Navy

OOW

Hi all,
I'm about to qualify as an OOW, Deck in the Merchant Navy however am really interested in joining the RN; though the MN plays a very important part in the global economy, the RN seems to play a more vital and fulfilling role for me.
Warfare is the branch which interests me the most, however, being 28, I am too old to apply to be a warfare officer. Is there any other route into the RN, or perhaps once already in the service, whereby I could work in warfare and use my seamanship skills as an officer?
Thanks,
OOW

OOW

Thanks both; I've done a bit of reading into the RFA and it sounds like a good middle ground for me and my situation, plus, if successful would also be part of the RNR - perfect.

They're not recruiting for 3/Os at the moment, but I'll keep my eye out so when the times comes, I can look at making the move. Shame the pay isn't cracking compared to some MN companies.

On the RNR note, with regard to their commitments, would they be flexible in recognising that I'd be away for 4 months at a time. Or if I joined the RNR before joining the RFA, whilst working my notice at my current company, would they be flexible bearing in mind I was a MN officer and away from dry land for months at a time?

Cheers all and Merry Christmas.

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
On the RNR note, with regard to their commitments, would they be flexible in recognising that I'd be away for 4 months at a time. Or if I joined the RNR before joining the RFA, whilst working my notice at my current company, would they be flexible bearing in mind I was a MN officer and away from dry land for months at a time?
Two very quick responses, if I may:
1. The RNR was invented for MN Officers, so the need to be away is almost "in the constitution" for want of a better analogy. It's just a case of planning your courses well in advance, for when you are ashore.
Your knowledge of ship loading would be swept up by the Amphibious Warfare branch, your general knowledge of the MN world would be of use to the MTO branch, so well worth a look. In the longer term, with our new focus on providing crews for OPVs, who knows how we might use the likes of you.
Caveat: No call for officers in the Seamanship Branch as I type.

My usual mantra: Engage with the RNR unit you wish to join.

2. RFA Officers & Ratings are automatically "Sponsored Reservists", so you will end up on the books of the RNR is some form or another anyway. I am surprised to hear that they aren't recruiting 3/Os as I thought they were short - might be worth a call to the recruiters in the NY to get a steer (ahem) on this.

I can't comment on rates of pay but, IMHO, the RFA get the best of both worlds. The integration between the two services gets closer by the day. Treated as CS, but all the advantages of RN life; better accommodation afloat, hotels ashore; better leave, yet same courses. what's not to like?

We have an RFA expert who can doubtless advise far better than I. Paging @RFA at HMS Raleigh

Good luck.
BH

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Torn between Merchant or Royal Navy? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
W Going From Merchant Navy Training To Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 3
G Merchant Navy vs Royal Navy - Recruitment Process Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
S Royal Navy AB to Merchant Navy AB The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
N Merchant Navy to Royal Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
M Join the Merchant Navy: Forget the Royal Navy The Gash Barge 35
S Merchant Navy to RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 3
D Merchant navy? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
D RFA and merchant navy? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 33
S Merchant Navy RFA 39
soleil Crosby Herald: "Former Captain Of HMS Eaglet Receives Merchant Navy Medal" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
T From the Daily Mail: How the RN forges links with the Merchant Navy Current Affairs 40
ZCDW9 Joining the RNR with Merchant Navy experience Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
B RFA, MFA, RN Transport, or Merchant Navy HM Transport? History 7
I WWII Merchant Navy badge History 3
H A Merchant Navy Question History 9
NotmeChief Merchant Navy / RNR get Freedom of City. Current Affairs 1
D Merchant Navy Petitions 1
Chicogiz Merchant navy The Quarterdeck 18
S State of the Merchant Navy. The Fleet 6
S MERCHANT NAVY DAY Nearest & Dearest 6
M Merchant Navy Deck Officers in RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 29
MoD_RSS Wine merchant wound-up in court MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Review of Merchant Shipping Regulations MoD News 0
E Death of a Merchant Seaman: Leonard Gould Shannon History 3
M Merchant seafarer to RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 6
Wee-lad Stay on the merchant path or go boats Joining the Royal Navy 7
jesse A question for Merchant Johnny. Diamond Lil's 3
BillyNoMates Merchant ship. Be afraid - be very afraid. Diamond Lil's 18
Seaweed The Shape of Merchant Shipping Current Affairs 5
Tartan_Terrier RNR on Merchant ships? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 3
scouse Help wanted for the Daughter of a Merchant Seaman Current Affairs 6
Seaweed Log of merchant seaman after U-boat sank vessel Current Affairs 0
Seaweed Merchant skipper tackled pirates Current Affairs 12
N Russians sink Chinese Merchant Ship Current Affairs 10
Scran_Bag Is bl_ue a wind-up merchant ? Diamond Lil's 7
MoD_RSS World-class autonomous minehunters to protect Royal Navy MoD News 1
AccessHeritage Royal Navy's Use of The Infernal Machine History 19
MoD_RSS Royal Navy warship sails into Arctic Circle for High North operation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Royal Navy concludes first joint exercises with Egypt MoD News 0
N royal navy medical appeal alcohol Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
higthepig Navy news October 2020 The Quarterdeck 0
mikh Navy Net asks for your consent to use your personal data to: Bloody Computers 9
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seizes over 450kg in the largest methamphetamine drug bust in the Middle East MoD News 0
soleil FB: National Museum Of The Royal Navy: 215th Anniversary Of The Battle Of Trafalgar History 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity - Hosting Your Own Trafalgar Night/Pickle Night Dinner History 2
soleil Express: "Submarine Sparks Panic In Scotland As Onlookers Mistake Royal Navy Exercise For Fire" Submariners 2
sampost Jubilee Sailing Trust announces pioneering collaboration with the Royal Navy Sports and Adventure Training 2
soleil Royal Navy Recipients In The Queen's Birthday Honours List 2020 Current Affairs 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity: World Uckers Championship 2020 The Fleet 1