Merchant Navy to Royal Navy

Navtaff

Will your company not pay for HND?
Negative, companies only really take on cadets for tonnage tax advantages. Especially my company in particular , as a result, no they will not pay for a HND and I've signed a contract stating that it would be a HNC. No huge deal, i'm just bummed bout the lack of UCAS points associated.

TheCommunicator

Lantern Swinger
If you want to be an engineer, on submarines, working on nuclear reactors I don't think you would have to wait long between walking into an AFCO and arriving at Raleigh as an ET(MESM). There are plenty of opportunities to accelerate progress as an ET - Google Fast Track and NUGAS.

If you want to join as an officer then without the UCAS points and a degree in engineering can't see you achieving this as an engineer.

What about Warfare (SM) officer? Has in recent times been a vastly under subscribed branch, often taking those who failed to gain entry in a different preference branch. It wouldn't surprise me if a keen and willing X(SM) volunteer without all the necessary entry requirements was able to get some sort of waiver, particularly if he had other qualifications relevant to the role.

Good luck!

Navtaff

If you want to be an engineer, on submarines, working on nuclear reactors I don't think you would have to wait long between walking into an AFCO and arriving at Raleigh as an ET(MESM). There are plenty of opportunities to accelerate progress as an ET - Google Fast Track and NUGAS.

If you want to join as an officer then without the UCAS points and a degree in engineering can't see you achieving this as an engineer.

What about Warfare (SM) officer? Has in recent times been a vastly under subscribed branch, often taking those who failed to gain entry in a different preference branch. It wouldn't surprise me if a keen and willing X(SM) volunteer without all the necessary entry requirements was able to get some sort of waiver, particularly if he had other qualifications relevant to the role.

Good luck!

Very helpful post, thank you.It's good go hear that perhaps the process will be a quick one ! When I am alongside with better signal next time I'll be sure to Google the stated.

I honestly don't mind entering as a rating as opposed to an officer , and I can see what your saying that it would be difficult without the qualifications. But determination, hard work and professional respect for your job and others can get you a long way.

Warfare is another route I will consider as when I was 16 this is the branch I initially wanted to enter; the warfare branch is also more relatable to my experience than any engineering role as I do not have engineering experience. My only concern would be the transferabiliy of qualifications; on the flip side I would intend on being in the mob until I retire so perhaps its not as big of an issue, thoughts ?

Latest Threads