Merchant Navy Deck Officers in RNR

mndc

Midshipman
I'm now a couple of weeks into my MN officer training, loving it so far. So have decided its time to give it another go. I will telephone KA on their parade night, how do I find out when this is? To whom do I need to speak? Much Appreciated.

R
 

Seadog

War Hero
Moderator
Deckhead Inspector wrote
Also I have just been informed that this months "Telegraph" the NUMAST journal has a full page article with all the details.
I have seen a copy. Photograph features a rather lardy looking MN/RNR Officer (one assumes the author ) on a warship bridge in a 'you can't see me' suit. Not a tree in sight.
 

navs

Midshipman
pioneer said:
MN Officers join as direct entrants on List 1. Cadets if under 20 join as Midshipman, over 20 as Acting S/Lt. You will enter into the AW branch. Get in touch with your Local Unit and ask to be put in touch with the AWSTO, who will advise you accordingly. We are short of serving MN officer's in AW. Unfortunately you will find some units unaware of the recruiting procedures for Merchant Navy Officers. If you do not get a satisfactory answer, get back to me with an email address and I will sort it out.
Hello Pioneer and everyone else.

I've been in the MN for 9 years (including Officer Cadetship) and have just joined the RNR, really enjoying it so far. Completed the AIB and next lot of training to follow shortly. I'm list 1 but still get involved with my unit when on leave where possible. I've been finding out more AW Branch and the two roles it has now. I can't decide which route to take i.e. STUFT Ships / CCS role or the Assault Ship / STOM role? Can you do both? I would appreciate your input, thanks.
 

pioneer

Midshipman
Hello Navs,
You can do both. Your experience as an MN officer will move you towards SNO as that is where you are most usefull. Your career path entails you to cover all aspects of AW. No doubt will catch up with you on one of the flat tops.
 

navs

Midshipman
pioneer said:
Hello Navs,
You can do both. Your experience as an MN officer will move you towards SNO as that is where you are most usefull. Your career path entails you to cover all aspects of AW. No doubt will catch up with you on one of the flat tops.
Thank you Pioneer, look forward to sailing with you. My apologies, but the biggest thing I have struggled with since joining the RNR are the abbreviations! What does SNO refer too? Thanks again.
 

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
navs said:
but the biggest thing I have struggled with since joining the RNR are the abbreviations! What does SNO refer too?
Senior Naval Officer I think (as opposed to the white stuff, of which I'm expecting 20cm tonight!)
 

navs

Midshipman
Are there any serving MN RNR officers who have recently done or who are preparing for fleet board? I'm worried that trying to get the tasks in the JO study guide done will drag on as I have 4 months leave a year. I notice it takes the other JO's who attend every drill night long enough as it is! I've been advised that seatime will be the best bet to get the tasks done and prepare for the board for someone in my situation. I understand the importance of the study guide and fleet board but don't like the prospect of it dragging on and hindering my RNR career due to my circumstances...any other tips? Thanks guys...
 

pioneer

Midshipman
An arrangement was made with SO1(IT), that List 1 MN officers in consultation with their unit JOTO's cover the work at the weekends. There are 2 officers in Dalriada in a similar position. If you can get together with them, we should be able to run a course over a weekend to and crack of the task book. Re seatime, you should be on the SO2AW's email circulation list. SO2AW forwards details of exercises and available sea billets. Get yourself into one of the trainee slots in the exercises and once onboard the sea going part of your task book can be completed as well as your professional training. If your still having trouble contact either one of the following and it will be addressed, AWTO(N), AWTO (SO&NI), AWTO (E), AWTO (W), or SO1AW(MR), SO2AW(MR).
 

navs

Midshipman
pioneer said:
An arrangement was made with SO1(IT), that List 1 MN officers in consultation with their unit JOTO's cover the work at the weekends. There are 2 officers in Dalriada in a similar position. If you can get together with them, we should be able to run a course over a weekend to and crack of the task book. Re seatime, you should be on the SO2AW's email circulation list. SO2AW forwards details of exercises and available sea billets. Get yourself into one of the trainee slots in the exercises and once onboard the sea going part of your task book can be completed as well as your professional training. If your still having trouble contact either one of the following and it will be addressed, AWTO(N), AWTO (SO&NI), AWTO (E), AWTO (W), or SO1AW(MR), SO2AW(MR).
Thanks for the advice Pioneer, I've since been finding out more about the weekends and getting some advice off of the List 1 RNR MN Officers.
 

Similar threads


Latest Threads

New Posts

Top