Merchant Navy Deck Officers in RNR

mndc

Midshipman
Hi all,

I am starting a Deck officer cadetship in september at Warsash maritime coll(fareham area) and I am hoping to join the RNR at some point in the future. I understand there is an option for direct entry as an RNR officer for MN deck officers, does anyone here have any experience of this? I also understand it is possibly to be accepted into the RNR as a probationary Acting Sub LT whilst still a deck cadet, does anyone know how this works? I have phoned the RN recruitment line and spoken to an AFCO about this but they were unsure, and I am awaiting a phone call from one of the units at the moment.

Thanks,

R

matlo_caroline

Lantern Swinger
Hi
Can i ask you what course you are on?
I am taking the place on the BSc in Merchant shipping at southampton with Warsah.
Which comoany are you going to be working for?
I want to eventually join the RN as a warfare officer?

Jim30

Lantern Swinger
I think you'd be able to go in as an Amphib Warfare Officer, driving STUFT ships. Not sure though - realistically if you are MN you'll be away an awful lot so the best you could aim for is List 5 (12 days per year) -that said your skills would be useful and I'm sure you could join.

mndc

Midshipman
Matlo_caroline,

I will be on the HND course starting in Warsash in Sept, sponsored through Clyde Marine, not sure which company yet though. Have you checked out www.deck-officer.com ? the forums on there can be helpful.

R

Jim30

Away a lot, but also home for longer than a weekend! EG: 4months away - 1-2 months home, so plenty of time to do more than the 12days min.

All

Recieved a phone call from the main recruitment line who gave me the number for my local unit. All people reached through that number appeared not to have heard of the idea of the RNR recruiting!! Unsure what to do now, is recruitment info normally hard to get hold of??

Thanks, R

mndc

Midshipman
ha, so everyone keeps telling me. please dont make me more nervous than i already am!!! I dont want to regret choosing them!!