MEO(General Service) forced into Submarine Service?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Best bet is have a chat with your ACLO - have you considered Air Engineering Officer, for example?

Still clanky, clunky electro-mechanical gubbins (to coin a technical phrase) but not remotely likely to serve on boats.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Just one thing that does confuse me, *he says in the manner of Columbo* Is during your initial Sift interview you are specifically asked whether you are aware you could serve on submarines and what you feel about it. To have progressed to AIB, the individual would have stated they are aware and not concerned.

David101

Just one thing that does confuse me, *he says in the manner of Columbo* Is during your initial Sift interview you are specifically asked whether you are aware you could serve on submarines and what you feel about it. To have progressed to AIB, the individual would have stated they are aware and not concerned.

I was asked if I'd considered submarines. I said I'd like to stay General Service. My ACLO then said his questioning would probe my knowledge of the Surface Fleet, training pipeline, role etc. more than the Submarine Service.

The same happened in my AIB interview. I was asked if I was interested in submarines. I said no and the Lt Cdr said that was fine; it just meant he wouldn't probe too deep in to my knowledge of the Submarine Service, instead concentrating his questioning on the Surface Fleet.

I'll go in for a chat with my ACLO. I'm hoping my AIB pass renders me eligible for a RFA Engineering Cadetship.

Thanks to you all for your help.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I was asked if I'd considered submarines. I said I'd like to stay General Service. My ACLO then said his questioning would probe my knowledge of the Surface Fleet, training pipeline, role etc. more than the Submarine Service.
Hmmn, interesting. The purpose of the question is to establish whether the individual is aware they may be drafted to the submarine service rather than determine the nature of subject knowledge questions. It's actually a deal-breaker.

That aside, I'd still be inclined to explore the AEO avenue in addition to any other.

Good luck.

Sumo

War Hero
Simples go SM get loads of dosh and pay for your own jollies as well as the ones you may get in-service?
That way you can take what is given and pick and choose the ones you missed and pay for them sort of a win win