"Mentioned in Dispatches"...What does that mean?

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Jewell, May 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Howdy,

Long time no speak.

Quick question.
    My ole grandad passed away aged 92,******* good innings,doubt if I will make it to 60, legend served in Italy and Africa.

When going through his papers from WW2, found something that said about being mentioned in Dispatches and not much else...

Can someone please explain what this means?

Thanks.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. When writing a military report of an action (the dispatch) the officer concerned will mention anyone who showed particular bravery and courage above and beyond the call of duty.

If someone is mentioned in the dispatches that means the officer writing the dispatch felt that the person concerned acted above and beyond.

3. But being a member of the Labour party was too tight to give him the meda that he really deservedl.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Our friend's son (3 Para Private) just got MiD from Afghanistan and quite frankly, having read the citation, he deserved a 'kin great gong! And he is only 21. BZ to him (even though being a Para, he won't know what BZ means!) :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  5. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Jewel, If you have the old fellas medals a MiD is signified by an oak leaf worn on the medal ribbon.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thanks guys.

7. It's something of which he could be justifiably proud.

• Like Like x 1
  8. That's interesting. I had often wondered why one of my grandad's medals from the Great War had a bronze oak leaf. He was mentioned in dispatches following his service in the Somme (which he survived).

Thanks Blobbs. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. If interested, there are details of honours on this page:

http://www.operations.mod.uk/honours/honours.htm

An extract for MiD:

The Mention in Despatches is the oldest form of recognition of gallantry within the UK Armed Forces. Since 1993, the Mention in Despatches has been reserved for gallantry during active operations. The Queen's Commendation for Bravery and Queen's Commendation for Bravery in the Air are similarly awarded to mark specific acts of gallantry.

10. While on the subject of MiD I have been trying to find out why my Grandfather was awarded the MM and to be MiD during the actions on the Somme. According to his papers he was MiD by General Sir JDP French for action on 15-10-15, and this was reported in the London Gazette on 1-1-16. After searching the on-line index I found this entry. His MM was reported in the LG on 14-12-16 but the index to the Gazette does not find the entry. Can anyone who has researched this document any clues because no-one in the family knows what he actually did the earn the award. I would be very grateful for ANY help.

11. LujonSA

I'd suggest having a look at the regimental history of your grandfather's regiment. They generally list all the decorations received by members of the regiment, including MiDs.

Given your location, there may be a problem with access to a good anglophone library. I'd suggest you see if there is a regimental museum who might be able to help you out.

PM me if you don't get anywhere. I'm a historian by trade so have a number of ideas and contacts we might be able to deploy.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BEING M.I.D ISOR STANDING OUT IN A DODGY SITUATION, I GOT ONE IN 82 FOR MY PART FOR GETTING AN UNEXPLODED GIFT FROM THE ARGIES OVERBOARD FROM ANTRIM THE'GIFT' WAS MARKED MADE IN SHEFFIELD!!!!!

13. You are a 'shipmate' of andy reeves9 and I claim my bag of free conkers.

[AR9's time at RR was a short but furious exercise in the art of crayoning over old threads but he left an enduring image of that crowd on HMS ANTRIM's quarterdeck angrily hurling fistfuls of aesculus hippocastanum at those retreating Argentinian Hercules.]

BZ & respect for the MID BTW.... Did AR9 get one too? ;)

• Like Like x 2
  14. Alternatively, in Derby?

<<... a patrol established that we had a 1,000lb bomb under the flight deck. The bomb had entered through the port flash door, went through two magazines [missile stores] and had dumped itself in the heads [the lavatories]. It was virtually intact, despite the fact that it appeared to have punched its way through eight bulkheads. It was olive green, with a red band around it, and was tail-fused, although the wires were sticking out.

Its identification plate indicated that it had been made in Derby (thank you, Derby!). It was considerate of the Args to have left in place the helpful advice ‘Danger – handle with care’...>>

© Chris Parry 2012. Chris Parry rose to the rank of Rear Admiral ... Amazon details for his book:
    Down South: A Falklands War Diary
    16 Feb 2012
    by Chris Parry
    Kindle Edition
    £5.49
    Paperback
    £9.99Prime
    Only 1 left in stock - order soon.
    More buying choices
    £0.01used & new(29 offers)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. no sheffield what makes you say derby?

16. i've always been of the belief that mentioned in despath should be replaced by distinguished conduct medal

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  17. Re-read my Post - I offered Derby (as quoted) because that was stated by ANTRIM's Observer, Chris Parry, in his book based upon his daily diary of events at that time.

18. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Possibly the bomb was encased in Sheffield Steel, but assembled in Derby?

My commanding officer mistook Skyhawks for Harriers - maybe an Observer wasn't as observant as the job title suggests ;)

I'd guess one of the guys getting an MiD whilst handling the bomb's disposal probably got a better look at it than a person unlikely to be employed in a damage control team.

• Like Like x 1
    • Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  19. Why do you say that? For OP Corporate HMS CONQUEROR was awarded a DSO, a DCM and 3 x MiD. The recipient of the DCM carried out feats of valour beyond those awarded the MiD!

• Like Like x 2
  20. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It's a case of perspective I guess. Some VCs were awarded under dubious circumstances during WW1, likewise there were dodgy calls with regard the award of at least one DSO during the Falklands.

I'm still baffled why three Royal Marines hanging onto the outside of Apache aircraft during a casualty recovery operation were awarded nothing whilst the 3 Apache pilots got DFCs and the co-pilots & a Royal Engineer (also outside the aircraft) got MC's.

• Like Like x 2
    • Bullshit Bullshit x 1