Mental Health

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by mattbea, Jun 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok I passed my interview today, and then got as far as the medical form with the MO or Civvi doctor? not sure, but anyway soon as he asked about what I said to the AFCO staff about my problems in the past he basically said simply no you can never apply again for the armed forces, I had 2 times of cutting myself when paraletic which I think is a point to make... and then detained under the mental health act which he thinks is an intent to self harm so thats 3 episodes... does anybody know more about appeals?
  2. Looks pretty straightforward to me.
  3. yea seems it to me, worst day of my life mate seriously. And to total it up Ive had to come home and say to my parents yet again Im a failure, I just want to make something of myself and be useful.. I do not have a clue what to do
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Sorry to hear about the outcome of your medical Matt.

The guidance for medicals states the following:

Psychiatric disorders

Ongoing psychiatric illness. Psychosis. Schizophrenia Obsessive-compulsive
    disorder. Autism. Personality disorder. More than one episode of deliberate
    self-harm of any type. Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Alcohol, drug or
    substance dependence. Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) unless
    free of symptoms and not requiring treatment for at least 3 years. Anorexia and

With regard appeals, you can only appeal against your GP's diagnosis of the condition which bars entry rather than appeal against the Armed Forces medical standards for entry which remain the absolute standard.

There is a plethora of jobs out there which you could do, it's just a matter of having a good look around.

The very best of luck to you.
  5. sorry to hear about this matt
  6. It has really done me in, I feel gutted, why is it though the bar is for life and not 3 years after the event with no re-occurances etc? worst thing though is once being eligible for the armed forces, and then come out and then find im in-eligible... such a shame saying Im fully fit as a fiddle medically/physically other than that problem, I will try other things but I am considering FFL if it comes to the worst! I cant work in a factory for the rest of my life for god sake!! :D
  7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Despite the recent banter in other threads, Matt, I'm sorry to hear this. Keep us posted on what your future plans are - and don't let it get you down, and don't do anything stupid!

8O :thumright:
  8. It's pretty bad isn't it. Won't ever forget coming out of my medical board at Alverstoke after they'd chopped me, although at least i'd done a few years by that point.

The main thing is, there are plenty of other things you can do outside- give it some thought and you honestly WILL sort out something that perhaps you haven't even considered before.

I know you get some bashing on these forums, and to be honest I'm not going to take sides here, but I think I do know something of what you're feeling- it isn't great to be told by the docs that there's no way back. It isn't the end of the world though, and you mustn't feel that you're a failure just because you didn't get into the navy. It wasn't you that drew up the medical regs Ninja posted (and they are there for a very good reason), nor was it your choice to do any of the things that have barred you from joining the service.

I know nothing about your qualifications or personality, likes or dislikes, but you must believe that there is a niche somewhere where you will actually to be able to contribute to society and be happy. Just realised that i'm starting to sound like a bloody social worker here so will stop rambling. The point is that there are many other jobs and walks of life you could follow where your past won't be as much of an issue. Good luck finding your way, it'll be worth it in the end.
  9. lol your sounding like my sister with being a social worker, she is one and god help me!! yea hopefully guys there is something else out there.. im looking already, anybody know much about merchant navy?
  10. and by the way the doctor.... I really felt like shoving him out the window :) only kidding but I did... I suppose.
  11. I agree with SPB. I've been to the Peckham Rye school of hard knocks over the last few years regarding health matters and losing good friends and family. Take solice in the fact that you have all of your arms and legs and besides a mental health issue a few years ago.....your health in general. It is difficult but try and put a positive spin on it by enrolling on a course or setting yourself goals.

All the best

12. Thanks mate, Im sorry by the way to most of you for being such a nobhead recently, just all the revising for the navy interview etc was really stressfull and not only that, I have been a ******** for the last few years, It does hurt to know I had that chance once to make something of myself (when I was doing army training) and then just F'ed it off thinking nothing of it and now realising what a t*wat I was. My massive problem is me mum n dad being really pushy and they all want me to go in the forces, or at least make something of myself
    If I dont im pretty limited to where I can live, usually 1 argument can have a nice reply to well F off and live on the streets. I need some "career" that will make me proud of myself and get me a bloody life, ok I took drugs with some losers other weekend and I really do not want to turn out like that, this area is bad for it.
    Any ideas anybody? do any of you know much about the merchant navy or FFL? FFL is a massively last resort and If I have to I will go for it.
  13. Sorry to hear about what happened.

May I humbly suggest you take it on the chin and move on. You gave it your best shot, but unfortunately it didn't work out.

Turning things around will not be easy, but taking drugs will not make it easier. If your "loser mates" do this then I suggest you get some new mates.

I don't know what your qualifications are but there are loads of rewarding jobs out there. There are also loads of courses which will make getting a job easier.

Good luck.
  14. thanks angrydoc, and the rest of you too!!... I dont like to give up, and sometimes I wish these days was the 1950's say, bit of national service and make most lads learn a bit of respect for god sake, on the other hand I cant have many mates round here because all they do is either sit in a flat and get "stoned" or go to the pub on their benefits and get "drunk" and the rest just work 24/7/365 literally.... I am a loser right now and ok there is something there for me but what! :S I am scared, and really scared, I so wish I never come out the army. But eh... move on
  15. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hey, chin up! As one door closes another one opens.

But if you do decide to do something stupid, can I have your flip flops? :wink:
  16. Sorry,FFL ????
  17. I think that Matt means the French Foreign Legion when he says FFL.
  18. and report back in French- stay safe dude
  19. That rules out most of the population then! :bball:

In a recent Mental Health Bill the Government tried to classify any state of mind that any doctor/Secretary of State considered to be abnormal as a personality disorder. Luckily the Lords overturned it - but only because they were willing to sacrifice the whole Bill. It could have been used to forcibly treat whole classes of sane people whose behaviour didn't conform to majority norms.

Matt, sorry about you not being able to join-up. You should certainly not see this criterion for not allowing you to enter the forces as being indicative of personal failure, becuase that is simply not the case, no more than developing PTSD after severe trauma should be seen this way or having flat feet (another reason for rejection).