Mental health

potnoodle

Midshipman
I was just wondering if you can be restricted to join if you have had mental health problems. I’ll say it as bluntly as possible as I would just like answers but last year In March I tried to overdose, and was put on antidepressants for 6 months. I’m so much better now and have no suicidal or depressive thoughts and no longer take any medication but can that restrict me getting in? It was just over a year ago.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
There are no medically qualified people on here who can answer that, nor are there any recruiters.

Your best bet is go to an AFCO.

potnoodle

Midshipman
There are no medically qualified people on here who can answer that, nor are there any recruiters.

Your best bet is go to an AFCO.
Okay cheers, I was more or less just wondering if anyone with the same or relating issue was able to proceed as normal with their application, before I took it to the AFCO

soleil

War Hero
PN

There is a mechanism within the recruitment process for putting things on hold for a while so that further information about medical issues can be obtained from other sources. The information gathered is submitted to the Senior Medical Officer (Service Entry) for an opinion.

I think that your case will be referred; it might well be that you will then be asked to re-apply after a bit of a gap, but the decision will be one made by SMO(SE).

I've just remembered as I was typing this that you added a post a few weeks ago to say that you were due to resit your RT but that your appendix had burst. You do seem to have had a tough time over the last couple of years.

Given what is happening at the moment, I can't say for certain when you will next have an opportunity to speak to one of the CAs at your AFCO, but I think that doing this will bring you a certain clarity.

Candidates whose cases are referred generally find that it pays to be patient and I think that the one thing I would recommend to you would be to be patient. It may be that you will have to wait a little longer than you originally had in mind for the opportunity to join, but don't be put off, just hang on in there.

potnoodle

Midshipman
Yeah last year was a bit of a rough one for me, I had no idea what I wanted to do in life, was having family problems and at that time, suicide seemed like the only option, however after over a year later I’m completely fine, have no suicidal thoughts or anything like that, it was just a bit of a bad year. I don’t expect anyone to know the answer to this bit I’m about to ask as nobody here is a medical expert, but could I by any chance speak to my gp about having the incident removed off my record or just not shown on it for when the navy check it or is that not allowed? I want to do things the right way but I don’t think what happened last year is relevant to me now and doesn’t show me as a person and I don’t want it to be seen as I’m at risk if I join because I know that I am 100% not.

Last edited:

soleil

War Hero
No, I really wouldn't recommend that as a course of action.

Am I right in thinking that you retook your RT recently and that you are now waiting for your medical?

potnoodle

Midshipman
No, I really wouldn't recommend that as a course of action.

Am I right in thinking that you retook your RT recently and that you are now waiting for your medical?
Yeah, however I got the medical questionnaire and I read on there about it being a delay or something, so I’ve never mentioned it because I didn’t think it was serious enough to mention as it being over a year ago and me being completely okay now

fishhead

War Hero
Yeah, however I got the medical questionnaire and I read on there about it being a delay or something, so I’ve never mentioned it because I didn’t think it was serious enough to mention as it being over a year ago and me being completely okay now
Be aware that anything that is on your medical record will be seen by the RN medical team so there is little point omitting bits you consider being a past event and of little consequence.

fishhead

War Hero
Yeah true, I was never going to try and hide or not mention anything if it could ruin my chances of getting in, at the time I’ve just didn’t think it was important. I shall mention it and try my best to explain the circumstances around it etc. I’m hoping they’ll give me a chance but I don’t have high hopes eek

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yep! Good luck with your application.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS £5 million funding given to mental health community projects MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Mental health - our employees' stories MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Protecting our mental health MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COVID-19 mental health campaign launches MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New advice to support mental health during coronavirus outbreak MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £1 million for innovative student mental health projects MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prepare for flooding to reduce impacts on mental health MoD News 0
MoD_RSS HRH Duke of Cambridge and football legends champion mental health MoD News 0
B Joining the Royal Navy with past mental health issues Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
C Chances of passing my medical?: previous mental health Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS Dedicated mental health support for all NHS doctors and dentists MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DFID Ghana Director's Speech on World Mental Health Day 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Breaking the Silence: There can be no health without mental health MoD News 0
MoD_RSS First 'State of the Nation' report marks World Mental Health Day MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Groundbreaking new platform launched to support mental health MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New research to improve treatment for adolescent mental health MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £100,000 fund to boost mental health support across Cornwall MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Millions in local investment to support children and young people's mental health MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Joint inspections focusing on children’s mental health MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Social media, young people and mental health MoD News 0
MoD_RSS National mental health programme between schools and NHS MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government prioritises wellbeing and mental health of officers in new package to support police MoD News 0
A Mental Health Questions... Health & Fitness 13
MoD_RSS Press release: Measures to end unequal mental health treatment kickstarted by PM MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM launches new mission to put prevention at the top of the mental health agenda MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Strong backing within LLWR for Mental Health Awareness Week MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary calls for veteran-led support to be at the heart of mental health services MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: NHSX: digital experts will be part of cancer and mental health teams MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Government creates new student mental health taskforce MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: " There can be no health without mental health" : speech by Jemima Gordon-Duff MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Ex-mental health worker has sentence increased MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Mental health and wellbeing support for NHS staff: government pledges overhaul MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Raising awareness of mental health issues in the workplace MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: One of the largest mental health trials launches in schools MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Government makes women’s mental health a top priority MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: NHS and schools in England will provide expert mental health support MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Government commits to reform the Mental Health Act MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Further intervention on student mental health MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Award for Sellafield’s mental health campaign MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New pocket guide for troops to access mental health support MoD News 0
C Mental Health in the RN Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
B Mental health Joining the Royal Navy 1
S Seeking mental health help Health & Fitness 3
MoD_RSS News story: Britain leads first ever European conference on veterans mental health MoD News 0
FunkyJunky Military Mental Health Health & Fitness 0
MoD_RSS News story: MOD launches biggest ever mental health awareness week with new confidential support for personnel on operations MoD News 0
L RFA ENG1 Mental Health? RFA 1
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Minister outlines expanded mental health provision for Armed Forces and veterans MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Defence Secretary Op-Ed for the Mail on Sunday on mental health MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Defence Secretary Op-Ed for the Mail on Sunday on mental health MoD News 0