Mental Health Issue

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Lancecadetjimbo, Jan 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good Evening, I Am writing this in hope that somebody may be able to give me some sort of useful answer, 2 1/2 years ago i applied for the british army hoping to join the royal regiment of wales (Now the Royal welsh), and was dissapointed to recieve mail saying that i was not elligble because of a mental health issue 2 years previous (when i was 14), I Understand the reasons, but do not understand why this should still effect my application, im currently awaiting psych tests with MIND, and am attempting to join the royal marine commandos. Could anyone give me some tips to how i could go about making a stronger case, which would present half a chance of convincing the medical officers.

The Mental health issue was something along the lines of depression, and 'Self harm' was included in this, allthough I've never taken a razor, Lighter, or anything that may harm myself, to my body. Thank's very much.

2. It's been a while since I assisted in medicals - and they were Army ones - but self harm wasn't a bar provided you have been clear for a period of time which I believe was four years and that the medical examiner is satisfied either through referral or otherwise that there is a minimal possibility of a relapse.

3. This is helpful information, I Am going to continue with my Psych test as its probably going to be within the week anyway and no doubt it'll prove that im not a loony.

4. Or that you are and that you should be locked away for your own safety and the safety of those around you.

Best of luck, anyway :thumright:

5. Lol, Thanks very much friend, your information is greatly appreciated. ^^

6. Hello Lance Cadet Jimbo and welcome aboard RR.
    Military Training can be stressful, not only on the body but the mind and to help reduce, as far as possible, the chances of injury to Recruits previous medical history must be taken into account during the recruitment/induction.
    Whilst it may seem harsh for a condition that affected you some years ago to still be taken into account by HM Forces, the rules are there because they work.
    Wait for the results of your tests and then approach your local AFCO for advice, by no means consider lying about your condition as this will only make matters worse.
    Ninja Stoker (A serving Careers Officer and RR Moderator) will be able to offer you professional advice from his stand point, that will probably be of more use then my ramblings.
    Anyhow good luck to you and let us know how you get on.
    NZB

7. hi lance cadet take all the advice offered you are not a failure by no means,be positive and focussed discuss this with ninja stoker he will guide you

8. Or Obi-Wan Careersi as he is also known.

9. Am i right in assuming that this person is a medical officer or something related?

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

No, far from it, but welcome, there's no fee!

Hiya Jimbo

I'm no more qualified than the next person on medical issues sadly, but the following is an extract from the "AFCO Form 5" which is a guide to applicants:

AFCO FORM 5 Revised Mar 07

APPLICATION FORM INFORMATION & GUIDANCE NOTES

MEDICAL

Fit to Serve. The Armed Forces require anyone who enters to be medically fit to serve world-wide.

New entrants to the Armed Forces undergo Intensive training which is physically demanding and mentally taxing, therefore the Service medical authorities have to be made aware of your medical history. Your application will be rejected if you fail to meet the minimum acceptable medical standard for entry. Your medical history is confidential and is not disclosed to those not authorised to hold this information.

The following initial medical examinations will take place for the:

(1) Royal Navy and Royal Air Force. It will take place locally as arranged by the Armed Forces Careers Office.

(2) Army. It will take place in an Army Development and Selection Centre. For that reason the Army additionally uses a detailed questionnaire to be completed by your Doctor as part of the eligibility process in order to help avoid unnecessary travel away from home.

(3) Reserve Forces. Under single service arrangements as notified by the recruiting personnel.

Unsuitable conditions.

The conditions in the table on below and overleaf make a person permanently unsuitable for entry into the Services.

This table is not exhaustive and is for general guidance only. Many conditions that are compatible with civilian employment and sport may be considered incompatible with military service. If you have a medical condition that is not mentioned below, or you are unclear about the impact of your medical
    history, you should seek further advice from the AFCO staff. Please note that the AFCO staff are not medically qualified and that the decision regarding medical suitability for enlistment is determined by selection medical staff.

Psychiatric disorders

Ongoing psychiatric illness. Psychosis. Schizophrenia Obsessive-compulsive
    disorder. Autism. Personality disorder. More than one episode of deliberate
    self-harm of any type. Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Alcohol, drug or
    substance dependence. Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) unless
    free of symptoms and not requiring treatment for at least 3 years. Anorexia and
    bulimia.

Rather than enter into the semantics or “fairness†of the standards outlined, those wishing to complain about it would be better off directing their complaint at the medical authorities who set the standard.

Please note that the AFCO staff are not medically qualified and that the decision regarding medical suitability for enlistment is determined by selection medical staff.

11. I'm not sane and they let me in.. :)

12. Ok i read over it, And so to say that if there was self harm, it has only been recorded once, i have no evidence to prove against the medical records stating '2003 - Self harm', Thats all i read in the copy of the medical the army provided to me, But i have only my word to say it didnt happen, Depression, Well in my own oppinion it was just me being a snot nosed teenager, 14 years of age thinking they know it all, I Have grown up since then and personally don't feel inclined to be sad at all, im perfectly happy with my life as it is, but would like to do this as it has been a dream since i was 8..

13. Ninja_Stoker

Good luck Jimbo

The rough rule of thumb to be passed fit for entry in ANY arm of the services is that you have to be clear of medication or treatment for any condition, (including any prescription drugs) for a set period of time & discharged from outpatient care, including physiotherapy and psychotherapy.

Hopefully this applies to you, if not the best advice is complete any treatment and then re-apply when fully recovered.

14. Well, At the moment im not on any perscribed drug, or seeing any psychologists.
    So, This is a good thing no doubt?

15. Ninja_Stoker

A boring answer unfortunately, but the only person qualified to give you a definitive answer is the Medical Officer who determines whether you are fit or otherwise- anything else is purely speculation.

Good luck. :thumright:

16. Lol, Sorry about the shortness, To be honest, I Understand why this rule is in place, but sometimes its stopping people who want the dream, then you have people who dont really want to be there getting PTSD after coming home from a Tour in Afghanistan, I Think, The job is there too be done by a certain type of person, Being afraid is natural but coming home and being afraid to walk out your door is just stupid.. There are reasons for it, but this is also a problem.. Hmm, In my own oppinion i can't see myself in any other type of job.. lol

17. I find your views on PTSD quite strange for someone who claims to have suffered mental health problems themselves.
    Ever heard of empathy? Look it up in the dictionary and then perhaps reconsider your tactless remarks.
    NZB

18. To be honest Boot, I Have empathy, But it shouldnt get to the stage where they cant walk out there front door, Our military offers help for these types of things(Or at least should), You had people like mcnab and the rest of Bravo two zero goto iraq, and endure some horrific torture, And they came home pretty much as good as gold, Heard somewhere that one of the 5 who came home had something along the lines of mental illness, But thats being captured, and beaten every hour on the hour, I know it sounds bad, but in the end thats the job, if you cant deal with it, you shouldnt be doing it.

Also, i dont claim to have suffered mental illness, My Medical documents State that i had it, I Have given my view on it also, 'Snot nosed 14 year old who thought he knew it all', i dont claim to be a Manic depressent, Who would?, I'm simply trying to evaluate the situation and hopefully figure out how to join the marine commandos.

19. You don't know a thing about what these people have been through. You haven't had to live through what they have and you don't know for shit that some came home "good as gold". So I would keep your comments belittling the people who suffer PTSD to yourself. These people are risking their lives on a daily basis, and need all the help and support they can get when it affects them on returning home.
    Not 16 year olds saying how stupid they are.

20. I wouldn't put too much credence on the Non-Fiction work of Mr McNab, several authors including members of his own patrol have cast doubt on his claims.
    And your experience of stress is? Being turned down for the Army.
    Hmm not quite the same as being under fire (Or even the constant threat of being in combat), patrolling for days with little rest or most stressful of all seeing your mates wounded or killed.
    All of us deal with and can tolerate different levels of stress in different ways, eventually the level of stress will be too much and symptoms as you describe may occur, some are driven further and commit suicide.
    If I were you I would be very careful of bandying about your ill informed and quite frankly juvenile opinions on a military website where people who have served and seen things that would probably turn you into a gibbering heap of sh!te, may see them.
    I suggest you stand by for some deep and meaningfuls with some of the members when they read your pathetic comments.
    NZB