Mental Health Issue

Lancecadetjimbo

Midshipman
Good Evening, I Am writing this in hope that somebody may be able to give me some sort of useful answer, 2 1/2 years ago i applied for the british army hoping to join the royal regiment of wales (Now the Royal welsh), and was dissapointed to recieve mail saying that i was not elligble because of a mental health issue 2 years previous (when i was 14), I Understand the reasons, but do not understand why this should still effect my application, im currently awaiting psych tests with MIND, and am attempting to join the royal marine commandos. Could anyone give me some tips to how i could go about making a stronger case, which would present half a chance of convincing the medical officers.

The Mental health issue was something along the lines of depression, and 'Self harm' was included in this, allthough I've never taken a razor, Lighter, or anything that may harm myself, to my body. Thank's very much.

Chalky

Lantern Swinger
It's been a while since I assisted in medicals - and they were Army ones - but self harm wasn't a bar provided you have been clear for a period of time which I believe was four years and that the medical examiner is satisfied either through referral or otherwise that there is a minimal possibility of a relapse.

Lancecadetjimbo

Midshipman
This is helpful information, I Am going to continue with my Psych test as its probably going to be within the week anyway and no doubt it'll prove that im not a loony.

Chalky

Lantern Swinger
Lancecadetjimbo said:
This is helpful information, I Am going to continue with my Psych test as its probably going to be within the week anyway and no doubt it'll prove that im not a loony.

Or that you are and that you should be locked away for your own safety and the safety of those around you.

Best of luck, anyway :thumright:

NZ_Bootneck

War Hero
Hello Lance Cadet Jimbo and welcome aboard RR.
Military Training can be stressful, not only on the body but the mind and to help reduce, as far as possible, the chances of injury to Recruits previous medical history must be taken into account during the recruitment/induction.
Whilst it may seem harsh for a condition that affected you some years ago to still be taken into account by HM Forces, the rules are there because they work.
Wait for the results of your tests and then approach your local AFCO for advice, by no means consider lying about your condition as this will only make matters worse.
Ninja Stoker (A serving Careers Officer and RR Moderator) will be able to offer you professional advice from his stand point, that will probably be of more use then my ramblings.
Anyhow good luck to you and let us know how you get on.
NZB

brendan498

War Hero
hi lance cadet take all the advice offered you are not a failure by no means,be positive and focussed discuss this with ninja stoker he will guide you

Chalky

Lantern Swinger
brendan498 said:
hi lance cadet take all the advice offered you are not a failure by no means,be positive and focussed discuss this with ninja stoker he will guide you

Or Obi-Wan Careersi as he is also known.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Lancecadetjimbo said:
Am i right in assuming that this person is a medical officer or something related?

No, far from it, but welcome, there's no fee!

Hiya Jimbo

I'm no more qualified than the next person on medical issues sadly, but the following is an extract from the "AFCO Form 5" which is a guide to applicants:

AFCO FORM 5 Revised Mar 07

APPLICATION FORM INFORMATION & GUIDANCE NOTES

MEDICAL

Fit to Serve. The Armed Forces require anyone who enters to be medically fit to serve world-wide.

New entrants to the Armed Forces undergo Intensive training which is physically demanding and mentally taxing, therefore the Service medical authorities have to be made aware of your medical history. Your application will be rejected if you fail to meet the minimum acceptable medical standard for entry. Your medical history is confidential and is not disclosed to those not authorised to hold this information.

The following initial medical examinations will take place for the:

(1) Royal Navy and Royal Air Force. It will take place locally as arranged by the Armed Forces Careers Office.

(2) Army. It will take place in an Army Development and Selection Centre. For that reason the Army additionally uses a detailed questionnaire to be completed by your Doctor as part of the eligibility process in order to help avoid unnecessary travel away from home.

(3) Reserve Forces. Under single service arrangements as notified by the recruiting personnel.

Unsuitable conditions.

The conditions in the table on below and overleaf make a person permanently unsuitable for entry into the Services.

This table is not exhaustive and is for general guidance only. Many conditions that are compatible with civilian employment and sport may be considered incompatible with military service. If you have a medical condition that is not mentioned below, or you are unclear about the impact of your medical
history, you should seek further advice from the AFCO staff. Please note that the AFCO staff are not medically qualified and that the decision regarding medical suitability for enlistment is determined by selection medical staff.

Psychiatric disorders

Ongoing psychiatric illness. Psychosis. Schizophrenia Obsessive-compulsive
disorder. Autism. Personality disorder. More than one episode of deliberate
self-harm of any type. Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Alcohol, drug or
substance dependence. Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) unless
free of symptoms and not requiring treatment for at least 3 years. Anorexia and
bulimia.

Rather than enter into the semantics or “fairness†of the standards outlined, those wishing to complain about it would be better off directing their complaint at the medical authorities who set the standard.

Please note that the AFCO staff are not medically qualified and that the decision regarding medical suitability for enlistment is determined by selection medical staff.

Lancecadetjimbo

Midshipman
Ok i read over it, And so to say that if there was self harm, it has only been recorded once, i have no evidence to prove against the medical records stating '2003 - Self harm', Thats all i read in the copy of the medical the army provided to me, But i have only my word to say it didnt happen, Depression, Well in my own oppinion it was just me being a snot nosed teenager, 14 years of age thinking they know it all, I Have grown up since then and personally don't feel inclined to be sad at all, im perfectly happy with my life as it is, but would like to do this as it has been a dream since i was 8..

Latest Threads