Mental Health and joining

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Dystopian, Jun 16, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey,

I'm 21 years old.

About 2 years ago I had an instance whereby I was admitted to A&E for an overdose following a major depressive episode for multiple reasons. Pretty ridiculous, yes. I'm not sure as to the extent this is on my medical record, and I was not prescribed anti-depressants. I now feel fine and have had no further issues.

I have always wanted to join the RN, and I wanted to know what the exact eligibility criteria are regarding mental health in this context? Am I ineligible?

2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Hopefully Angrydoc will see this, otherwise re-post it in the medical forum mate.
  3. Ok, Thanks :)
  4. It will be in your GP notes - every Emergency Department attendance gets notified to your GP.

Eligibility depends on how long this episode went on for and what treatment you did receive. Feel free to either post here or PM me.

By the way, A&E was retitled Emergency Department about 5 years ago!
  5. Now I'm confused. Where do I go if I've had an accident but it's not an emergency? Also, I left my luggage in the sun and the polish therein has melted over my iron, security clearance and bleep test results, totally ruining my suitcase. Can you recommend a baggage outlet while answering my other question?

Bored? Moi!
  6. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

If you've had an accident and it's not an emergency you are a biff not a casualty requiring immediate attention, You also dont need a new suitcase, polish enhances leather, why do you need an iron? you have a man to do those things. Records will have been kept of your security clearance and bleep tests.

Ruperts... I despair.... :)
  7. Give Pontius a break Blobbs, he's outside now so doesn't have a steward antmore.

Rumour has it that on an Hossifers certificate of service when they leave, it says how many sugars they have in their tea..gen dit :book:
  8. Odd username for someone who wants to join the Navy
  9. Spot on WB - accidents don't always need emergency attention! Plus "accident" infers that noone was at fault, which is usually rubbish. "I drive into a tree - it was an accident" - no, you are a crap driver / skidded / were drunk / the tree was actually a triffid and walking towards you / etc.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. You've had that as well AD, scarey innit :sad5:
  11. It was a HUGE part of the resettlement course, titled "How to wake yourself and make yourself". Setting an alarm clock took a bit of doing but the tea making was more difficult. At the very least I thought it came ready made in a big urn but apparently not :sad:. I got over the arse-wiping problem by installing a bidet but the shoe cleaning still needs a bit more attention.
  12. I came across plenty of loons whist serving so I wouldn't let a bit of mental health worry you.
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Present. ...................
    • Like Like x 3