MEMORY LANE

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by babystew, Mar 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. AFTER 36 YEARS MYSELF AND EIGHT EX CREW OF THE OCELOT ARE RETURNING TO FASLANE, COURTESY OF NEPTUNE. VICTUALLED ASHORE IN THE WORLD RENOWNED COMMODORE HOTEL.,
    IS THE HOOLY BAR STILL THERE, AND THE LOVELY MISS CRYSTAL, ( 8 PINTS OF HEAVY AND I FANCIED HER ROTTEN, )COME TO THINK OF IT 8 PINTS OF HEAVY AND I FANCIED ANYTHING ROTTEN. MACKEREL FISHING FROM THE FLOATING DOCK. SALUTING OFFICERS ON BYCYCLES CLOSE TO CRANE RAIL LINES. THE LONG WALK UP TO THE BASE AFTER THE LAST BUS, THE CHURCH OF TURKEY FOR THOSE WHO THOUGHT THEY HAD PULLED, ( SPENT MANY A LONELY NIGHT THERE,) OH THE MEMORIES

2. Baby Stew, Fond memories indeed mate. In a recent post it seems the mess and rec block including the Hooley Bar are no longer with us as they have been demolished.

Miss Janet Chrystal and her 2i/c Chrissy both retired around about 74/75. In recognition of their stalwart service to submariners both were presented with gifts before they left Faslane.

I met Janet and Chrissy in 1983 when I was working in Invergordon. Both were in good health and had a lovely wee house near to the seafront. We had a good laugh together and Janet spun some cracking dits about her time at Faslane including one about the time her bar was burnt down around her ears when the bar was a nissen hut in the Quarry car park and also about some of the tactics her and Crissy used to keep Jack away from her bar girls.

Have a good run mate

Pol

3. What you shouting at mate, sure you weren't an ex gunner? :wink:

4. You might find the Commodore has changed a bit; it’s now an “Inn Keepers Lodgeâ€. There is only one bar (bar/restaurant); the other is a coffee shop. As mentioned by others, the old rec hall is long since gone. In fact Faslane has changed a lot in recent years.

:neutral:

5. JEALOUS?!!

6. have now returned after tour of faslane base the place is unbelievable, new accommadation blocks are being built for the junior rates which include on-suite bathrooms and double beds , in case you have to do a duty weekend and you would like to have your wife with you. i had the maidstone and narvik, with forty to fifty others on our deck, and on-suite shower room to share with all.
    our tour of submarine was the superb a nice bunch of lads, but boy was i glad i had done my time in p & o boats, the base itself now extends from the old south gate used only weekdays now almost into garelochead. taking over the old shipbreakers. in all a brilliant weekend, even the weather didn't let us down, gale force winds ,torrential rain. sleet and snow. it just seemed like the old helensburgh.

7. I think i saw you fellas on the weekend of 17th/18th March. If it was then you all looked like you had enjoyed your weekend.

8. trehorn - Your comment suggests they were wobbling a little!

SF

9. probably trehorn, but there was three groups there at the same time two groups dressed all in black from the submariners assoc and our party ex - ocelot in plain civvies. but yes we did have a good time

10. Was killick sparker on Ocelot for years. it was an SM1 boat but spent all its time up in SM3,doing those 24 trials. felt i was more Jock than the Jocks. Some good runs though: Oban, Cambletown, Rothesay etc !
    That hooley bar used to get some hammer.

11. Just reading through some of the old posts came accross this.

Had some good times in the" HOOLY BAR", HMS Finwhale & Walrus.
    The fire hoses got a good bashing especialy on my 21st.

Sorry to here it has closd down, how do they let steam of now? after three months below.

:thumright: :thumright: :thumright: