Memories

Mister Harry? (Name just popped into my head). Think me and a bunch of others went in the place when we was down from Faslane for a Navy Hockey Final. Ohhh! - and that joint above the fish'n'chip shop next door to the Avondale? (If you could actually call it a club). Name escapes me a.t.t.

Happy to help

Where to start

Clubs

Commodores
Ace of Clubs (Union Street)
Boobs (Union Street)
Safari club (near the Barbican)

Pubs

Brown Bear
The Star (union Street)
London Bar (Union Street)
Twin Twigs (Union Street)
The Navy (Barbican)
Three Crowns (Barbican)
Diamond LiL'S (Union Street)
Phoenix (Just off Union Street)

Shed loads of others but I can't think of the names at the moment but this site will help

Lost Pubs In Plymouth, Devon

Last edited:
Ah, Mr Harry's and Woods - happy days.

Mr Harry's was a brown hatter's club, but also used by swinging straights looking or new friends to play with - allegedly.

Woods was away from everywhere else and always seemed to be full of nice young maids.

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Can the OP be more specific about what he actually wants us to remember? There have been many pubs and clubs frequented by Jack in this city through the years.

(granny)

Banned
Book Reviewer
Prior to it being called 'Woods' it was ' The Park Ballroom'. I met my, eventual, wife there in 1956. Ahh, Those days of innocent youth where we actually danced to a live band and held a girl in our arms. lol

Thanks for all suggestions so far.
I was trying to remember the clubs in Union st. And then the lesser known ones in the city.
Does anyone remember the club sited under the Strathmore hotel near the Hoe?
I did remember "Two's Up" which was upstairs over the road from boobs.

There was 'The Birdcage' upstairs above a second hand shop and another, can't recall the name, upstairs above the theatre. Both were dubious clubs where ladies disrobed. Unlike Diamond Lil's back bar and the midnight stripper!

I'd forgotten all about the Old Chapel! I remember they used to shout out that they were being raided in order to get everyone out toot sweet if things were dragging on!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Nearest & Dearest 1
Maxi_77 Current Affairs 4
D The Corps 22