Memories

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Soapy4449, Sep 21, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Time to test the grey matter.
    can anyone remember the clubs in Guzz in the 1970's & 1980's?

2. No.

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 2
  3. No, me neither?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

4. Mister Harry? (Name just popped into my head). Think me and a bunch of others went in the place when we was down from Faslane for a Navy Hockey Final. Ohhh! - and that joint above the fish'n'chip shop next door to the Avondale? (If you could actually call it a club). Name escapes me a.t.t.

Happy to help

5. Where to start

Clubs

Commodores
    Ace of Clubs (Union Street)
    Boobs (Union Street)
    Safari club (near the Barbican)

Pubs

Brown Bear
    The Star (union Street)
    London Bar (Union Street)
    Twin Twigs (Union Street)
    The Navy (Barbican)
    Three Crowns (Barbican)
    Diamond LiL'S (Union Street)
    Phoenix (Just off Union Street)

Shed loads of others but I can't think of the names at the moment but this site will help

Lost Pubs In Plymouth, Devon

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Yeah man...like....far out.

Headbangers from a dark and distant past.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. No as i wasn't born then, super tramp though that would have been mint.

8. Woods
    Good Companions

9. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Woods, wasn't that in Old Town Street above Burtons the Tailors?

10. That's right Granny, I was just talking about the place about 2 hours ago in my local.

At Fisgard we were warned to never go there so... well ... I guess I don't have to draw you a picture...

11. Ah, Mr Harry's and Woods - happy days.

Mr Harry's was a brown hatter's club, but also used by swinging straights looking or new friends to play with - allegedly.

Woods was away from everywhere else and always seemed to be full of nice young maids.

12. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Billy the "club" upstairs next door to the Avondale was The Carousel. Great place for drinking after backshift.

13. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Can the OP be more specific about what he actually wants us to remember? There have been many pubs and clubs frequented by Jack in this city through the years.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Nopes , left Guz in 1966.

15. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Prior to it being called 'Woods' it was ' The Park Ballroom'. I met my, eventual, wife there in 1956. Ahh, Those days of innocent youth where we actually danced to a live band and held a girl in our arms. lol

• Like Like x 2
  16. The Old Chapel with lots of Guzz's finest slappers getting nakid on a Sunday dts.

17. Thanks for all suggestions so far.
    I was trying to remember the clubs in Union st. And then the lesser known ones in the city.
    Does anyone remember the club sited under the Strathmore hotel near the Hoe?
    I did remember "Two's Up" which was upstairs over the road from boobs.

18. There was 'The Birdcage' upstairs above a second hand shop and another, can't recall the name, upstairs above the theatre. Both were dubious clubs where ladies disrobed. Unlike Diamond Lil's back bar and the midnight stripper!

I'd forgotten all about the Old Chapel! I remember they used to shout out that they were being raided in order to get everyone out toot sweet if things were dragging on!

19. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

A mucker and i went two's up with a lady from Guzz once who had lovely boobs.

20. AAF

AAF Badgeman

Did you toss up for who got the sticky wicket ?.