Memories of your passing out parade

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Greendeath, Sep 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just like your service number, your passing out parade is something you never forget:

This was undoubtedly one of the very best days of my life and one that will proudly stay in my memories forever.

It was a warm sunny morning in October 1983 and we spent some time making last minute preparations to our kit, just checking everything over and making sure it was immaculate. We used the buddy buddy system to inspect each others lovats uniform and removed any stray pieces of fluff with cello tape. The feeling that morning was warm and friendly and our faces shone with pride. We had just completed one of the most arduous and challenging infantry courses in the Western World and were in the closing stages of passing out as Royal Marines.

Looking back, from that moment in time, we'd spent the majority of basic training looking on at the Kings Squad marching by. They walked tall and looked proud and immaculate. Their movements were crisp and their drill boots crunched instep on the tarmac roads as they smartly marched passed. "That's were I want to be." I used to think.

Now we were the Kings Squad. We'd made it through and were Royal Marines Commandos.

It was raining during the morning so we went through the presentation process of the Green Berets inside the drill sheds. I can't really explain the immense feeling I had that morning when I removed my training beret and cast it away into a gash bin before placing my green lid onto my head.

A short while later, we marched smartly away and changed into our blues uniforms. We marched onto the parade square. We were immensely proud and ready to take our place in a commando unit or anywhere in the world they chose to send us at the drop of a hat.

The arms drill went well without error. We'd practiced it so many times that it just came naturally. As we marched passed the crowd of parents, I casually glanced at my family. I could see them trying to pick me out and scanning up and down the ranks that marched by. It was a great feeling.

Near the end, the Adjutant came onto the parade square on his horse. He did a number of salutes with his razor sharp sword as he presented our troop to the inspecting officers.

Suddenly, the horse unleashed a generous pile of manure onto the tarmac. It was just before the adjutant gave us the command to advance in review order. We started to advance, the horse manure was getting closer. Then we sighed with relief as we halted just a couple of paces away from it and the Adjutant gave the order to present arms!!!

Then we dressed back into close order and the adjutant gave us the order to march off the parade square.

This is the first time in your career that you are referred to as Royal Marines and those great words will stay with you forever.

2. My passing out parade was at St.Vincent in late 1963. I was part of the honour guard, and totally godsmacked when my name was announced as winner of the best entrant award! No-one had warned me that this one was coming, but I was very proud as my dear old Mum was there to witness me marching up to the dias to collect my certificate from the Captain (which I still have - somewhere!)
    First and last award I ever won, except the DofE Silver award, also at St.Vincent, and of course my Dolphins!
  3. Your right Greendeath you never forget your service number ( in fact part of it I use as a password on my PC)! I passed for duty at Eastney Barracks, Portsmouth, 5th July 1957.
    Like a stupid prat , I dropped my bayonet on the parade ground, during fix and unfix bayonets on the move. We were issued with 303s then.
    Thems were the days!!!
  4. G'day all.

Yes things like that do stick in your memory.

I remember when our class was doing it's square bashing at Raleigh, prior to our passing out parade, we would be marching wheeling about turning etc etc, and at this time every morning a Mosquito would come flying over the parade ground, and I was always saying I hope the *astard comes when we do our passing out parade back to the dais.

Lo and behold the big day came, and as our class were marching along, we got about 100 yards [Feb. 1957] from the open hanger doors at the right hand side of the parade ground, the PO who we had had just started to give the command to about turn, he only got "Squad" when this bloody beauty plane swooped over us roaring it's had off, I was in the middle of the class, being on the smaller side and some of the guys beside me said he wants us to about turn, I quickly said keep walking you silly *astards, as we have all wanted this chance, so half the class about turned to go past the saluting captain, whilst the other half kept marching right into this big black hanger until we got into the middle and then we marked time.
    Even the skipper of Raleigh and our PO had a bloody good belly laugh,our PO knew that I had instigated it,, but let us off though.

We then had to go to HMS Ocean to do our sea training, I think three months, on the passing out parade on the flight deck they called out the top trainee from the training divisions, which included other branches as well as seamen, and I could have dropped when they called out my name, i had to march out and receive a silver bosun's call from the skipper, which my grandson plays with, and hehas absolutely no idea how much it annoys the shit out of his Granny and I lol

regards pingbosun

We are having a 50th re-union of our class on the 27/9/07- 30/9/07. should have been earlier, but it was put back.
    I can bet the lanterns will swing that night.
    just outside of London
  5. 18th December 2003 (sprog, i know) I remember i was hanging out my arse all morning, cos id been bagging my missus off the night before and didnt get back til 4am, wake up call at 5.30 am!!

However, the infinitly most proudest day of my life, from the moment we were presented with our green lids, to the part where we marched past the stands, and i saw my dad, the person who told me i'd never do anything with my life, crying cos he was so proud of me.

that memory will stick with me forever.
  6. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

sweetness, get the lingo sorted.
  7. sweetness, get the lingo sorted.

What a cold callous swine you are WB.
    By the way how do you do that trick of putting other peoples postings in outlined boxes?
    Tell me 'I do not want to be an outsider anymore.
    Aye the Quin
  8. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Click on the quote box in the top right hand corner of the post you want to quote,
  9. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

look at the message you want to quote, at the top right hand side you will see reply or quote, chose quote and in the little box where we write this sh1te the message you have just quoted will appear, make sure your type after the message you have quoted and have fun.

Blobbs. :dwarf:
  10. Many thanks you wretched swines of men.
  11. sorry if my grammar aint up to scratch, remember im a grav bootneck, not a rupert love!!!