Memorabilia Collecting

Hi,

I guess this could almost qualify for the history forum, but I think better suited to hobbies.

In the not so distant future I'm joining the Navy as a MA and was thinking it could be interesting to collect some kind of Navy memorabilia, not for the purpose of spending or making any vast amount of money, just for something of interest.

Obviously, not having a great knowledge of Naval history or Naval items I'm a bit stuck on what would be worth collecting.

So if anyone does something similar or has a idea of something that might make an interesting collection I would be happy to hear from you.

Cheers
How about a collection of interesting venereal diseases? Used to be all the rage in the mob.Followed by a holiday in 'Rose Cottage'...:laughing3:

There used to be a vogue for collecting rear windscreen stickers - remember "Fly Navy" and "Sail Navy"?

The RN hierarchy got quite enthusiastic about the publicity value of these, although the embryonic Elf'n Safety system eventually made it a Bad Thing to obscure car windows with stickers, nodding dogs and the ever-popular fluffy dice. But while it lasted, there were some interesting variants; "Submariners do it deeper", "Cook Navy" ( easily altered to "Cock Navy" with a bit of spare blue paper and some glue) and "Happiness is Wren-shaped".

It all came to a grinding halt when their Lordships agreed to a competition for a new windscreen sticker slogan, and in their infinite wisdom awarded the prize to "Sea King Here, Sea King There, Navy Choppers Everywhere". Several thousand were printed but withdrawn within hours when the penny dropped in Old Admiralty Building.

I lost my one and only original copy, but somewhere in the attic is an ancient photocopy. Happy days.

I used to hire a locker on Pompey railway station to house my collection of DFs. When I went on leave I would take my collection home and make a small fortune. Then I would start 'collecting' again ready for my next leave....

I used to hire a locker on Pompey railway station to house my collection of DFs. When I went on leave I would take my collection home and make a small fortune. Then I would start 'collecting' again ready for my next leave....
This gets better and better, cap tally bows and stashed d.f.s. Me too but my locker was in the Traff. Club.Ahhh,the old skills are they alive today?

I think our MA collected ringbolt phots. He used to leave his camera loafing (back in the days of film) and we would kindly fill it with phots of every ringbolt on the ship. Even the Jimmy obliged.....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W The Quarterdeck 2
P History 2
P Diamond Lil's 5