Memorabilia Collecting

Discussion in 'Hobbies & The Great Indoors' started by navy_yorks, May 20, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I guess this could almost qualify for the history forum, but I think better suited to hobbies.

In the not so distant future I'm joining the Navy as a MA and was thinking it could be interesting to collect some kind of Navy memorabilia, not for the purpose of spending or making any vast amount of money, just for something of interest.

Obviously, not having a great knowledge of Naval history or Naval items I'm a bit stuck on what would be worth collecting.

So if anyone does something similar or has a idea of something that might make an interesting collection I would be happy to hear from you.

Cheers

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Good call.

In my experience, medical assistants are often a bit odd, often fixated with polishing the sickbay floor and moaning if you bleed all over it.

With this in mind a Navel collection would probably be quite normal.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Had a CCMEA on the Coventry 96-00 who collected T. Towels from every port visit we had, he used to take great pride in showing the mess his latest additions. He was very interesting!

• Like Like x 2
  4. I used to try and collect postcards from the places I visited, but all I seamed to get was hangovers and no postcards, not sure what went wrong?

5. In my younger days I seemed to collect visits to the table after most of the runs ashore!

• Like Like x 3
  6. You could try collecting ship's badges aka Crests but they are not usually cheap. A trawl around the boot sales may turn one or two up.

7. Cap tallies, most wafus only have a few even after 20 plus years!

Do have a "OP JOINT FORCE HARRIER" one, they were sent to the squadron, realised that the OP in front was incorrect so they were ditched. I managed to get one, I can only assume it's the only one?

Sent from my iPhone, cos the wife is using MY iPad :(

8. Ninja_Stoker

I'm impressed. No, hang on. I'm telling porkies.

9. You will be when you see it on antiques roadshow

One of a kind my little scouse friend!

Sent from my iPhone, cos the wife is using MY iPad :(

10. Ninja_Stoker

^_~ True, if I live that long, I'll be hugely impressed.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I only had four cap tallies, HMS Raleigh, RNH Haslar, HMS Dolphin, HM Submarines. That's the curse of being a submariner.
    But I must admit that I valued advancement to PO a little more than my cap tally tally.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  12. The only reason I went for my rate was because I couldn't tie the bloody things.

When I say 'only' the pay and pension aspects had some influence I suppose, but it was mainly the tallies.

Honest.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I was ace at tying cap tallies. It was a pain in the arse, though, because there was always a long queue wanting my "rosettes".

14. Regarding collecting interesting and nice stuff; I need a bigger house and perhaps a more sympathetic girlfriend.

15. Having said that, at least I snagged a denim collar and a pair of drop front strides for my efforts. Being skin and denim collars don't really work for regs though. :sad2:

16. You have a girlfriend? I'm amazed. What's his name?

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  17. You young sprog Bandy ... I've still got my HMS Victory one from when Haslar didn't have its own cap tally and we wore Victory ones! (Thats before some sod mentions something about being old enought to be Nelsons Cabin Boy! - quiet in the cheap seats)

18. Does that mean you were actually a loblolly boy then MGM?

• Like Like x 3
  19. Well; likes to be known as Mrs Bandy_E.

20. In my day most medics collected Golden Rivets,

• Like Like x 2