Memoirs of The Falklands

wal

Lantern Swinger
When the conflict ended, we sailed out of Bomb ally a few days after and went for a visit to see some Bennies on Weddle Island. They unlike the main Islanders had been bypassed by the Argies that is apart from getting low on coffee which we took a donation from the ship. I thought that the water in Malta was bad but theirs was strait out of the peat soaked well. It already looked like weak coffee without adding the coffee.
We sailed home soon afterwards for a dicky refit and return for Christmas. We were given limited leave on New Year’s Day but apart from suffering wind burn there were fuckall to do as we were not allowed to leave the Stanley area.

My thoughts at the time were that they were a bunch of islands covered in sheep shit and sheep and no trees.

wal

Lantern Swinger
Someone told me that FI sheep were like Scotish sheep you don't need wellies. Just face them to water and they stay where they are. Are they correct?

MG Maniac

War Hero
Dunno about the sheep but there were those fcking geese ... Couple of Booties caught one one day and broght it back to the fridge plant and proceeded to cook the damn thing expecting something like christmas goose ... dripping with grease and all crispy! Yeah right ... fcuking thing was tough as an old steaming bat and tasted like shit! Bit later order went out to leave the thibgs alone. Did hear tat a couple of Beach head booties did the same with a penguin with much the same result.

Kaboom

Midshipman
When OH was still in the RN I nearly applied for a 2 yr teaching contract on Stanley, but OH said sod all there apart from stinky sheep, stinky penguins and no shops, it was the no shops that put me off!

LujonSA

War Hero
Someone told me that FI sheep were like Scotish (Sp. PSM) sheep you don't need wellies. Just face them to water and they stay where they are. Are they correct?
Now why on earth would you want to know? Do you have a draft/appointment to Faslane?

Last edited:

Sumo

War Hero
Dunno about the sheep but there were those fcking geese ... Couple of Booties caught one one day and broght it back to the fridge plant and proceeded to cook the damn thing expecting something like christmas goose ... dripping with grease and all crispy! Yeah right ... fcuking thing was tough as an old steaming bat and tasted like shit! Bit later order went out to leave the thibgs alone. Did hear tat a couple of Beach head booties did the same with a penguin with much the same result.

Probably why there are so many of them and they are not on the endangered list, cus they taste like shit

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Bennies. They had one hell of a funny accent. A kind of cross between an aussie and someone from Somerset. They all had beards too. Most of the men were clean shaven though.