Memoirs of a nod circa mid 80's

chatsharris

Lantern Swinger
wet_blobby said:
FROM NOD TO SPROG

40 came back from it's latest sunshine trip so with one easy pack of a seamans kitbag, pussers sausage and cardboard suitcase I was on the back of a 4 tonner headed for Somerset. Upon arrival we were allocated fighting companies and after been detailed off into troops then sections told where we'd be living and moved in. At the time 40 had only just taken over Norton Manor Camp on the outskirts of Taunton, it was unsure if we'd be staying there so the accom was pretty basic, the old WW2 Nissan huts set up in a "spider" with the ablutions being the "body" and 6 legs going off that forming the sleeping quarters, they where fab, zero rated because they where falling apart but bonus......we didn't have anything docked from our pay for living in them. The general consensus was we'd end up staying at Norton Manor because the Officers had a manor house to live in.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but thats an insect :roll: :D

Fcuking cracking read Blobs!!

chatsharris said:
wet_blobby said:
FROM NOD TO SPROG

40 came back from it's latest sunshine trip so with one easy pack of a seamans kitbag, pussers sausage and cardboard suitcase I was on the back of a 4 tonner headed for Somerset. Upon arrival we were allocated fighting companies and after been detailed off into troops then sections told where we'd be living and moved in. At the time 40 had only just taken over Norton Manor Camp on the outskirts of Taunton, it was unsure if we'd be staying there so the accom was pretty basic, the old WW2 Nissan huts set up in a "spider" with the ablutions being the "body" and 6 legs going off that forming the sleeping quarters, they where fab, zero rated because they where falling apart but bonus......we didn't have anything docked from our pay for living in them. The general consensus was we'd end up staying at Norton Manor because the Officers had a manor house to live in.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but thats an insect :roll: :D
You're wrong a Spider is an Arachnid not an insect.

labrum said:
Would love to have seen those 'old sweats' faces, class WB!
I seem to remember you mincing about like you were an old sweat sometime circa 1992. :D

I was however a bit of skin at the time 8O :)

wet_blobby

War Hero
Ok, You fellas have a choice, it takes awhile with my 'puter skills to tap this crap out so what do you want? Here are the next chapters titles, choose one and I'll tap it out next weekend...work permitting.

"Tattoo's and sprogs"

"Sprog goes into battle"

"Beer, munters and sprogs"

Your choice and I'll have a go a tapping out another chapter.

Throughly enjoyable read mate (first thread I've read from start to finish).

A bit more about the musical training would go down a treat, but really wherever you want to start is fine with me :D

Of course I can't speak for the Sunshine Commandos of 40, but once assigned a Frontline Unit :lol: of the Corps as a Sprog you'd be introduced sharpish to the Bandmaster for instruction in Musical aptitude.
This involved regular practice of playing the white euphonium, issued in the heads, and then turning to in the AM for some sort of phys. Defaulters got a visit to the Bandmasters Office for remedial instruction. :cry:
I progressed to the exalted rank of 2nd Banjo, my 'Duelling banjos' played with L/Cpl [email protected]#%$ in the presence of HRH Michael the Duchess of Kent on her visit to bless the Unit Instrument store in '81 was the talk of many a grot for years to come. :D
I hope this post helps to demystify some of the secrecy of the Commando Brotherhood for our unwashed bretheren.

My vote for the next installment must go for "Tattoos and sprogs".
I well remember even in Training an oppo of mine, Jnr Mne Sm%^$(2Fs :wink: ), who even at the age of 17ish was regularly induced by the Troop DL to reveal, usually on the Parade Ground, his latest tat on returning from any expedtion outside of Lympstonia.
IIRC he came back from one day in Exmouth, (May have been Crimbo leave. :oops: ) with a windjammer or a very pish poor representation of HMS Victory in full sail on his chest and all he got in puns was a shake of the head and a tsk!
What else was there to spend your dosh on apart from loose women, booze and Berghaus kit?

wet_blobby said:
I feel inadequate, I struggle to get symbols to make a noise without causing self harm... :oops: I suppose that counts as a ND..... 8O
As per, remedial instruction recquired! :roll:
Clenching of the lower intestines whilst applying emoticons will have the desired effect. :oops: :lol: