Membership of organisations whilst serving

paybobsquarepants

Lantern Swinger
A question about membership of organisations whilst serving.

Are there any organisations where membership is not permitted whilst serving, but would be permitted outside the Mob?

I understand trades unions and freemasonry for junior rates but after that...?

Paybob

WreckerL

War Hero
Communist party may raise a few eyebrows, likewise some extreme right wing groups.

AFAIK you can be a member of most groups as long as you don't actively recruit or promote the group or attend meetings or rallies in uniform.

There is a list of proscribed groups but it was/is an ever changing list.

Sumo

War Hero
Plus active member or not, membership of some can affect your career paths. Chap onboard requested to go special, months later he was declined, his grandad had been a member of the communist party, know one in the family knew, apparently a whim his grandad had in his youth, but somebody obviously keeps a record?
Why what are you a member of?

crash_evans

Lantern Swinger
The security check procedure is (believe it or not) quite stringent. Affiliation with any groups or organisations that believe in dissent or opposition to the crown or government (as that’s what you want to join) are forbidden. If you are going to join a branch that require more in depth clearances (UW/EW/WE/CT) will be even more so.

Top tip, if it is even a bit ‘fruity’, give it a wide steer.

P.S. the Navy is quite a good group to join anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Way back when, there was a bit of a fuss when it was exposed that a REM was 2i/c the UK branch of the KKK. Outed by the News of the World as I recall.

hackle

Lantern Swinger
The security check procedure is (believe it or not) quite stringent. Affiliation with any groups or organisations that believe in dissent or opposition to the crown or government (as that’s what you want to join) are forbidden. If you are going to join a branch that require more in depth clearances (UW/EW/WE/CT) will be even more so.

Top tip, if it is even a bit ‘fruity’, give it a wide steer.

P.S. the Navy is quite a good group to join anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed with your last sentence! Just to be clear, support for or membership of a legal political party (not taking an active part in its affairs) should be OK.

paybobsquarepants

Lantern Swinger
Yes, it was the article on the Granuiad on the alleged membership of GI which prompted my question.

They seemed to be screaming with glee at outing a member of an organisation whose views may not be conventional, but who are legal (along with the Labour Party, Brexit Party, HopeNot Hate and Antifa etc ).

I'm quite sure KKK is illegal anyway and a wee bit dated.

I recall a jr who was a member of Greenpeace purely to wind up the joss when he got mail and magazines from them - "collect directly from the Reg office".

Absolutely on some branches being tigher for vetting purposes and for DV positions.

I expected the answer to be vague as the goalposts are constantly changing.

You have to expect fluidity in the Mob.

PBS

I remember buying a music VHS (google it kids) from the NME, it came in a clearish plastic bag however on the from cover of the case there was a CND logo...

Call from the Reg office, "can you pop up and see us?"......

After 10 mins chat with the reggie, he realised I wasn't a member and I left with the video and a promise I'd make him a copy.

Turns out 10% of the profit went to CND?

WreckerL

War Hero
Wifey joined Greenpeace and the boss wasn't a happy bunny when I fronted up wearing a nuclear free seas T shirt, as I was a reactor panel operator and the primary EA at the time I guess he had a point. I wore it when the boat visited the States, a couple of yank submariners had a total sense of humour failure and the boss banned me from wearing it :)

Sumo

War Hero
Some people just need to chill out more? ;) :)

Wifey joined Greenpeace and the boss wasn't a happy bunny when I fronted up wearing a nuclear free seas T shirt, as I was a reactor panel operator and the primary EA at the time I guess he had a point. I wore it when the boat visited the States, a couple of yank submariners had a total sense of humour failure and the boss banned me from wearing it :)