Megrahi

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Maxi_77, Aug 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hat is it he is being sent home to die.

"it is my decision that Mr Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi... be released on compassionate grounds and allowed to return to Libya to die"

I fear our Ken was on a hiding to nothing on this one, what ever he decided he will upset people. However I think he was right, Megrahi's lack of compassion for his victims is not a justification for our lack of compassion and thus it is right he should be released.

2. Agreed it is right, but not for the same reason.

He should be sent home to put a middle finger up to the fcukin yanks. They conned Blair into going into Iraq and then Afgan, now they are trying to meddle in British internal affairs. The judicial system in this country has nothing at all to do with the USless so keep you nose out.

Well bollock to you - Scottish law say he has to go so he is going.

3. I'll wager that its got feck all to do with any of the above and all to do with what the UK got for his release ie. he was ransomed in a quid pro quo. Wonder what it is...

4. I must admit that I got quite worked up about some the the US comments, which really showed how little they understood about any other people other than their own. One I heard mouthing of should have pooped over here where I am sure that even a citizen of Edinburgh would have been happy to welcome him with a Glasgow Kiss. I was even incensed at the BBC giving the prat the time of day and the platform to spout of on.

5. The BBC annoyed me by trying to draw attention to all the oil interests British companies have in Libya. That may or may not have been a consideration but it will inevitably set off the hordes of conspiracy theorists and insidiously undermine the judicial and humanitarian intentions.

I’m not sorry that he’s back off sandyside (well, I assume he is). That should save the exchequer a few bob. I also find it interesting that the American God botherers seem largely to be in the Old Testament “eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth†camp. Not much Christian New Testament “turn the other cheek†shining across from that side. Anyway, dry your eyes Mrs Clinton and can you say what your husband thought about it?

6. Looks like Mandybum and Prince of helicopter rides have given BP a nice little earner in Libya:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/scotland/article6799755.ece

Possibly all unconnected of course..

7. Mind you on the basis the compassionate release was the proper answer in Scots Law, get getting the work for BP and the dropping of the Appeal whcih could have continued with compassioate release, and refusing the prisoner transfer which stopped Gadfly getting the glory for releasing him the UK has worked a reasonable flanker on this and got up the septics noses collectively as a bonus.

8. It was not him, he was the fall guy.

9. One rule for the US - Gary McKinnon, extraordinary rendition, etc. etc. and one for the rest of us. Not this time.

10. So it looks as though a round of Brinkmanship has taken place

11. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

We seem to have rathe rlost sight of the fact that this bod could not possibly have set up this act of mass murder all on his little own. Show pic of Blair hugging Ghadaffi please.

12. If you are right I do hope the Gadfly gave him a decent deal for his troubles.

13. Hmmm.... if the gross national export of Libya was carrots, I reckon he'd still be in prison. 8O Still it's cheaper sending him home than having him here.

14. It was not only the septics that lost citizens inthe panam jet, but Uk citizens both in the air and on the ground at Lockerbie.
    This man was convicted by a Scottish court, and the evidence presented there was enough to convict him, if he is carrying the can for some organisation, tough shit.
    It really does seem strange that suddenly doubts are being cast on the validity of that conviction, although as we all know there have been miscarriages of justice in our legal system.
    I smell something more than the compassionate need to let this individual die in the bosom of his family.
    A need that was not given to the victims of Lockerbie.

15. I'd like to think that this humanitarian act demonstrates the fundamental difference between a compassionate modern civilised society like ours and those still anchored in cruel mediaeval barbarity where women are stoned for being raped or caned for drinking a beer. Well, that's what I'd like to think, anyway.

16. There were doubts from Day One.

The Germans found identical radio cassette bombs in raids on PFLP-GC cells in German.

PFLP-GC > Syria > Iran

17. The USA did a lot of hand-wringing and teeth-gnashing but there was one thing that Hilary Rodham Clinton didn't mention.

A Cuban airliner was blown up by Luis Posada Carriles. Seventy three people were killed including a lot of kids. Posada was a CIA trained narco-terrorist and a right-wing nutter. He was arrested and sentenced to life imprisonment in Venezuela. He escaped from prison and entered the USA illegally;a US Federal crime. He has lived in Miami under the protection of the US Government ever since.

BZ to the Scots for not caving to the demands of the Americans who have real dual standards when it comes to terrorism.

RM

18. I doubt if they recognise that. The West's perceived compassion will be seen as a weakness

Added "perceived"

19. They've been around for years. It's two years now I think since he got leave for his second appeal on the basis that it could be a miscarriage of justice. It's just more prominent now because of the cancer issue.

20. The whole case against just didn't stack up. It is simply not logical to place and IED on TWO flights before ending up on its' target. So much to go wrong, so much opportunity of delay. Or that the device may end up on a completely different aircraft; something more possible in those days before positive baggage reconciliation. Flight delays in those days were much more common than they are today.
    IMHO that device was placed on the aircraft at LHR, it did not transfer from another aircraft. This is also the opinion of a lot of people who have studied this atrocity in great depth.
    A good thing is that there are people out there pushing for a proper, public and open inquiry. These are determined people and I hope they eventually get what they want.