Meet the Marines

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by darren114, Apr 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Soon after my first interview I was sent a letter about a 'Meet the marines' day at Bristol. It seems this is an event through all of the UK taking place between Jan - Nov 2007.

The first letter didn't explain much, and I expected it to be simply a day to talk to people currently serving, to get advice and learn more about the corps. Even having the oppurtunity to do that would be excellent at the current stage of my application.

However, the following letter explained the event in more detail. I can't wait, I think it's amazing that something like this has been setup and I really look forward to it.

"This is a rare chance to have fun, whilst gaining an insight into this elite Corps by participating in a range of exciting activities. Your programme may include physical challenges such as team games and circuit training, leadership tasks, rock wall climbing, abseiling, fast patrol boats, weapon familirastion, unarmed combat and possibly rides in the new All Terrain Vehicle and Rigid Raider boats."

Not only is this event free, but they allow you to claim for any travel costs..

Anyone else participated or participating?

2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Darren, dont forget to ask the lads about the current trapping techniques, you'll get the most upto date gen from Cpl's and Mne's I'd of thought. Do not participate in any games involving soggy biscuits or munters.

Enjoy your day and good luck. :D

3. If you ask them about their drums and trumpets then they will really appreciate it and probably let you have a go on those as well. :roll:

4. Darren I have highlighted the most important word in the letter, this is Royal Marine/ Ministry of Defence code for probably won't.
    Sorry to pi$$ on your fireworks, have a good time and let us now how it went
    regards
    NZB

5. Haha yeah I too picked up on that keyword :lol:

As I said It will be a rewarding experiance just to chat to some people there, any of the activities listed will be a bonus. However I think it's worth me not getting my hopes up about 'rides in the new all terrain vehicle' and expecting 'team games'.

It's not til the 5th May, but yeah I'll let you know how it goes.