Medically Unfit decsion from Capita

Hi there!

I've been browsing the forums some time now since I applied for the position of weapons engineer officer for the surface fleet back in April of this year and unfortunately today I received confirmation that I have been declared Medically Unfit by the senior medical officer pending I have been 4 years clear of symptoms and treatment free in regards to a mild episode of low mood (due to multiple losses in my family within a short period of time in 2014) and one mild episode of anxiety whilst at university in January 2017.

I'm not overly disappointed in the decision as this was kind of expected to begin with but hey ho, might as well try eh! and I understand the navy or any armed forces in general has to be very careful when selecting candidates to be fit for duty due to the stresses the job can bring. However, this isn't a woe is me message, and I don't think I really have a case to appeal the decision that has been made against me but I would like the forums advice, especially from the main gaffer Ninja himself if possible ;). I would like to add the letter did not say Permanently Medically Unfit, it just said MEDICALLY UNFIT.

How would I exactly go about writing to capita to get a definitive answer as to when I can appropriately apply again for the navy, if I can at all tbh? I am a bit gutted but tis the kickbacks in life that make us more determined in my opinion. Also, since I achieved my honours degree in physics this year, would there be an issue with regards to as how old my qualification will be when I apply again? I.e another 2 and half years down the line if I decide to apply again?

Thank you very much for anyone's time in advance! cheers.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Sorry to hear of your circumstances. As ever, definitive advice can only be given by a qualified service medical officer.

The best bet is to write to the sender of the medical rejection letter to ask under what circumstances you could in future meet the standard for entry.

To give a rough idea, I think one-off bouts of depression or anxiety are usually OK after about three years free from treatment however, I think prolonged periods of prescribed medication in excess of 12 months are going to be a significant issue in future unfortunately, whatever the circumstances.

Asthma, as most people, apart from olympic cyclists know, is a life threatening condition and not to be taken lightly.

Anyone requiring inhalers and using them past the age of 18 cannot realistically claim it was just childhood asthma due to immature lung development. Qualified expert advice should be sought if planning on stopping using inhalers. If you still need them, then stopping getting prescriptions for four years to meet the entry standards is not recommended.

Best of luck in your aspirations.