Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Medically Discharged

Hi need some advice, i was medically discharge due to some high blood pressure readings whilst in royal navy basic training, its 10 months down the line now and i have just been completely cleared of any medical defects from a cardiologist after undergoing several tests, however the waiting list to get back into the navy as a diver is 2 years. So i want to go into the marines, but i don't want to tell them about me getting MD from the navy, would they find out about it if i never told them? Im more than capable of passing the marine entrance tests and my BP is normal so ill pass the medicals, my DR said that it was just down to a thing called white coats hypertension, high BP when i being seen by a Dr.
So would the marines know if i had been in the navy and had been medically discharge if i don't tell them?

Drakey

War Hero
Yes of course they will know. I assume that you will be going to the same AFCO, so they will remember you. Your name and record will already be on the system no matter what AFCO you go to. If you don't declare your previous service and medical condition your integrity will be called in to question and you will have blown any chances of joining. The Royal Marines are part of the Royal Navy, so you are joining the same firm.

werqpr

Lantern Swinger
Hard luck pal, hope everything works out ok for you in the end!!

You say high readings i was worndering if you could tell me exactly what readings? I some times suffer with high BP because of white coa what ever it's called. but how high was high???

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Best of luck in your aspirations- remember if you have any former service you need to provide your discharge documentation & your former medical records are obtained prior to gaining approval to undergo selection.

Royal Marines usually take about 5 or 6 months to join from Medical to entry under the current manning situation.

gaz4zag

hiya m8!
i've been in the marines for 8 years now and do know of quite a lot of people that have been md'd and then got back in when med prob has been cleared! you will not have a problem as long as you can back up the fact that this problem has been sorted and will not re-occur!
do not however think about lying, you will get caught out and look like/feel like a tit!
be honest about it and you'll be fine m8!

best of luck!

mrbullcrap

Lantern Swinger
I failed my medical the first time round for high blood pressure and got put down as temporarily medically unfit,went home bought my own blood pressure machine,took my own readings,and they were normal,after afew months,went back told them about my readings and they took my pressure again and it was fine and they let me pass.
I wouldn't lie to them!
Whatever you decide to do,if you feel worried about the white coat effect,i'd look into some relaxation techniques they might help.But if you're willing to wait you could sign up for the reserves i think they've got a mcd branch,and do that while you're waiting.
Don't lie.

D

Deleted 7

gaz4zag said:
hiya m8!
i've been in the marines for 8 years now and do know of quite a lot of people that have been md'd and then got back in when med prob has been cleared! you will not have a problem as long as you can back up the fact that this problem has been sorted and will not re-occur!
do not however think about lying, you will get caught out and look like/feel like a tit!
be honest about it and you'll be fine m8!

best of luck!

Agree with this post, I know a few people who were MD'd, only to return after a stint of tests etc. As longas you are 100% truthful with the AFCO, then you will be fine, always remember that you will never out smart them!

Good luck with you journey x

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Medically discharged Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
L Medically discharged at Raleigh - chances of rejoining? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
L Medically discharged from army for migraines Health & Fitness 3
N Medically discharged Finance & Pensions 13
L medically discharged with diabetes Health & Fitness 5
Rai999 Permanently medically unfit ( Royal marine commando Joining the Royal Navy 4
S Declared permanently medically unfit Joining the Royal Navy 2
N Help! Declared P8/Medically unfit Joining the Royal Navy 4
V RN Reserves Medically Questionairre Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
A Medically Unfit decsion from Capita Joining the Royal Navy 2
B Permantly Medically Unfit Joining the Royal Navy 3
H Temporarily Medically Unfit - Advice Please! Joining the Royal Navy 8
Horus40k Medically unfit at discharge but no MBOS - what to do Health & Fitness 2
N Medical appointment after being passed medically fit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
M Declared medically unfit due to hernia operation 13 years ago!! Joining the Royal Navy 9
Foxbar Temporarily Medically Unfit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
J Temporarily Medically Unfit. Help! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
H Prescription med's and medically unfit! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
T Pre- employment questionnaire -Medically unfit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
N Temporarily Medically Unfit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
J Perminatly medically unfit Health & Fitness 8
Bondy93 Bad News! (Medically unfit for Aircrewman) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Bunhead Temporarily Medically Unfit - What do I do now? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
M Medically Unfit Health & Fitness 2
H Permanently Medically Unfit Health & Fitness 14
B Temporarily medically unfit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
P URGENT: High Blood Pressure, Medically Discarged Health & Fitness 43
K Medically D worries. Health & Fitness 8
L Discharged TU (I) wanting to rejoin The Quarterdeck 25
S Medical board chances of being discharged after just having an op Blogs 1
A Can I be discharged for this? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
D Family member discharged. Nearest & Dearest 4
B Discharged Temperamental Unsuitability Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 51
B Joining RNR after being Discharged From Regular Navy Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 25
W Discharged from the army can i join the navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
chockhead819 Discharged as fit but!! Health & Fitness 2
F can i rejoin after being medical discharged Health & Fitness 6
brazenhussy Discharged P7RD Health & Fitness 20