Medically Discharged

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by slater123456, Sep 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi need some advice, i was medically discharge due to some high blood pressure readings whilst in royal navy basic training, its 10 months down the line now and i have just been completely cleared of any medical defects from a cardiologist after undergoing several tests, however the waiting list to get back into the navy as a diver is 2 years. So i want to go into the marines, but i don't want to tell them about me getting MD from the navy, would they find out about it if i never told them? Im more than capable of passing the marine entrance tests and my BP is normal so ill pass the medicals, my DR said that it was just down to a thing called white coats hypertension, high BP when i being seen by a Dr.
    So would the marines know if i had been in the navy and had been medically discharge if i don't tell them?
  2. Yes of course they will know. I assume that you will be going to the same AFCO, so they will remember you. Your name and record will already be on the system no matter what AFCO you go to. If you don't declare your previous service and medical condition your integrity will be called in to question and you will have blown any chances of joining. The Royal Marines are part of the Royal Navy, so you are joining the same firm.
  3. DOH!
  4. Hard luck pal, hope everything works out ok for you in the end!!

You say high readings i was worndering if you could tell me exactly what readings? I some times suffer with high BP because of white coa what ever it's called. but how high was high???
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Best of luck in your aspirations- remember if you have any former service you need to provide your discharge documentation & your former medical records are obtained prior to gaining approval to undergo selection.

Royal Marines usually take about 5 or 6 months to join from Medical to entry under the current manning situation.
  6. hiya m8!
    i've been in the marines for 8 years now and do know of quite a lot of people that have been md'd and then got back in when med prob has been cleared! you will not have a problem as long as you can back up the fact that this problem has been sorted and will not re-occur!
    do not however think about lying, you will get caught out and look like/feel like a tit!
    be honest about it and you'll be fine m8!

best of luck!
  7. I failed my medical the first time round for high blood pressure and got put down as temporarily medically unfit,went home bought my own blood pressure machine,took my own readings,and they were normal,after afew months,went back told them about my readings and they took my pressure again and it was fine and they let me pass.
    I wouldn't lie to them!
    Whatever you decide to do,if you feel worried about the white coat effect,i'd look into some relaxation techniques they might help.But if you're willing to wait you could sign up for the reserves i think they've got a mcd branch,and do that while you're waiting.
    Don't lie.
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

9. Agree with this post, I know a few people who were MD'd, only to return after a stint of tests etc. As longas you are 100% truthful with the AFCO, then you will be fine, always remember that you will never out smart them!

Good luck with you journey x