Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Medically discharged from army for migraines

Luckyjeff

hey, I'm new to this site so sorry if it's in the wrong thread.

Basically 2 years ago I was medically discharged from the army for migranes and got a p8. However it says on the Royal Navy website that if clear from migranes for 2 years your medically clear to apply.

I was wondering if anyone on here would have any advice as to wether or not the navy would accept my application now I'm over the 2 year mark but unfortunately have a MD on my name

Thanks

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The rough rule of thumb is if the Army will re-employ you, so will the Navy in most cases and vice versa.

In normal circumstances, the medical standards which permit people to continue to serve after joining are far, far more relaxed than the standards applied in order to join. If the condition at the time was so severe that an individual was discharged, then it is probable re-entry is going to be an issue unfortunately. If a medical pension or compensation was awarded then the odds are it will almost certainly be a no-go.

Ultimately, the only definitive guidance can be given by the medical examiner once he/she has the full history. If you apply, do not give notice to quit any civilian employment based on any assumption because the application is being processed initially.

Best of luck.

Luckyjeff

Thank you very much for your reply, that was very informative.

If it comes that I am no longer allowed to serve in the armed forces would that include the Royal fleet auxiliary aswell or would I still be able to apply to that organisation?

Thanks

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Thank you very much for your reply, that was very informative.

If it comes that I am no longer allowed to serve in the armed forces would that include the Royal fleet auxiliary aswell or would I still be able to apply to that organisation?

Thanks
The RFA have their own medical standards (Board of Trade) with broader parameters, so a knock-back for the regular Armed Forces would not necessarily be an issue in the RFA. Not aware of the specifics but my advice is do not rule out the RFA.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Medically discharged Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
L Medically discharged at Raleigh - chances of rejoining? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
N Medically discharged Finance & Pensions 13
S Medically Discharged Health & Fitness 10
L medically discharged with diabetes Health & Fitness 5
Rai999 Permanently medically unfit ( Royal marine commando Joining the Royal Navy 4
S Declared permanently medically unfit Joining the Royal Navy 2
N Help! Declared P8/Medically unfit Joining the Royal Navy 4
V RN Reserves Medically Questionairre Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
A Medically Unfit decsion from Capita Joining the Royal Navy 2
B Permantly Medically Unfit Joining the Royal Navy 3
H Temporarily Medically Unfit - Advice Please! Joining the Royal Navy 8
Horus40k Medically unfit at discharge but no MBOS - what to do Health & Fitness 2
N Medical appointment after being passed medically fit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
M Declared medically unfit due to hernia operation 13 years ago!! Joining the Royal Navy 9
Foxbar Temporarily Medically Unfit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
J Temporarily Medically Unfit. Help! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
H Prescription med's and medically unfit! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
T Pre- employment questionnaire -Medically unfit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
N Temporarily Medically Unfit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
J Perminatly medically unfit Health & Fitness 8
Bondy93 Bad News! (Medically unfit for Aircrewman) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Bunhead Temporarily Medically Unfit - What do I do now? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
M Medically Unfit Health & Fitness 2
H Permanently Medically Unfit Health & Fitness 14
B Temporarily medically unfit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
P URGENT: High Blood Pressure, Medically Discarged Health & Fitness 43
K Medically D worries. Health & Fitness 8
L Discharged TU (I) wanting to rejoin The Quarterdeck 25
S Medical board chances of being discharged after just having an op Blogs 1
A Can I be discharged for this? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
D Family member discharged. Nearest & Dearest 4
B Discharged Temperamental Unsuitability Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 51
B Joining RNR after being Discharged From Regular Navy Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 25
W Discharged from the army can i join the navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
chockhead819 Discharged as fit but!! Health & Fitness 2
F can i rejoin after being medical discharged Health & Fitness 6
brazenhussy Discharged P7RD Health & Fitness 20
MoD_RSS British Army protects big cats in Belize MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Lebanese Army Commander ends two-day visit to the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Army trains Somali National Army Brigade headquarters MoD News 0
S Transfer from Army to Navy Joining the Royal Navy 13
MoD_RSS Army's construction vehicles boosted by £240 million contract MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £1.2m innovation contracts awarded to help Army engineers survey water crossings MoD News 0
T Commissioning from army to navy (hopefully) UPO/Careers Office 24
MoD_RSS Defence Minister and Head of the US Army sign Modernisation Agreement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Army experts boost NATO fight against COVID-19 disinformation MoD News 0
H Army JNCO to Navy Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
soleil Army v Navy Rugby Match, May 2nd 2020, Cancellation Sports and Adventure Training 0
MoD_RSS The UK completes training of Somali National Army battalion in Baidoa MoD News 0