Medically discharged from army for migraines

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Luckyjeff, Mar 16, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hey, I'm new to this site so sorry if it's in the wrong thread.

Basically 2 years ago I was medically discharged from the army for migranes and got a p8. However it says on the Royal Navy website that if clear from migranes for 2 years your medically clear to apply.

I was wondering if anyone on here would have any advice as to wether or not the navy would accept my application now I'm over the 2 year mark but unfortunately have a MD on my name

Thanks

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The rough rule of thumb is if the Army will re-employ you, so will the Navy in most cases and vice versa.

In normal circumstances, the medical standards which permit people to continue to serve after joining are far, far more relaxed than the standards applied in order to join. If the condition at the time was so severe that an individual was discharged, then it is probable re-entry is going to be an issue unfortunately. If a medical pension or compensation was awarded then the odds are it will almost certainly be a no-go.

Ultimately, the only definitive guidance can be given by the medical examiner once he/she has the full history. If you apply, do not give notice to quit any civilian employment based on any assumption because the application is being processed initially.

Best of luck.

3. Thank you very much for your reply, that was very informative.

If it comes that I am no longer allowed to serve in the armed forces would that include the Royal fleet auxiliary aswell or would I still be able to apply to that organisation?

Thanks

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The RFA have their own medical standards (Board of Trade) with broader parameters, so a knock-back for the regular Armed Forces would not necessarily be an issue in the RFA. Not aware of the specifics but my advice is do not rule out the RFA.