Medical

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Benji4571, Apr 21, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there i recently got PMU'd for the royal Marines for Recurrent back pain i had over 3 years ago what are my chances of joining the navy, RAF or amy? Thanks

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The RN standards are fairly similar to RM, @nemesis1066 may be able to advise whether more leeway is acceptable in the Naval Service, but I suspect not unfortunately.

With regard RAF & Army, there's only one to find out.

Best of luck, hope it turns out as you would wish.

3. Hello, I have my medical coming up and was just after some information regarding the medical, as for what's involved? Also I used to use an inhaler, more than 4 years ago now, so would I have to still get written details of that? Thanks Andy

4. Ninja_Stoker

5. I had my medical two weeks last Friday, said for me to do a peak flow diary, just incase they were unsure about the results from the GP, was just wondering how long they usually take to get in touch about them? Haven't heard anything as yet.

6. My medical was just over 6 weeks ago, completed the peak flow but still waiting on my GP/Capita.

Going to guess each GP and each persons waiting time will vary however

7. Ninja_Stoker

Contact your GP, check they have received, completed & returned your asthma questionnaire. Very often they submit an invoice before they do anything & this can delay your medical by a couple of months.

8. Following all of this, I now have a 'second medical' following my paper medical by Capita. Any idea what this would involve that is any different to my first medical? If it's just to clarify my records/GP letter I am confused why this cannot be done over the phone...

9. Ninja_Stoker

In many cases it can but it may well be you have not completed all elements of the medical examination, there maybe a few extra checks required or the Doc may want to give you the good or bad news direct.

10. On my first one he said everything was fine and he would sign me off so it seems odd that I am even attending a second one. Is it worth calling the doctor? I have been told it's not going to be for another 2-3 weeks...seems a long time to drag out perhaps telling me I may not get in...If that is the case, I wonder if they can just let me know on the phone. Somebody has suggested perhaps they have lost my records (for the second time) as my AFCO no longer works there...is that possible?

11. Ninja_Stoker

I guess anything is possible, but generally, after your GP supplies the complete information that is required, your AFCO will be instructed to book you in for a follow-up medical. Most AFCOs have a three or four week wait for medical appointment availability.

12. You should look at the Submarine Service

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Ninja_Stoker

The rules are contained within JSP 950. The following link is an uncontrolled copy which may well be seriously out of date, but it should give an overview: http://www.arrse.co.uk/community/attachments/148214/

Ultimately the only person who can give definitive advice is the medical examiner, once he/she is in possession of your full medical history.

In order to manage realistic expectations however, with the caveat I'm not medically qualified in this area but have 12 years recruiting experience, the odds are not in your favour I'm afraid.

Either way, good luck should you wish to apply.

• Like Like x 1