Medical

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by RNJason, Dec 8, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, due to have my medical in the next fortnight and I'm wondering what is required, such as medical notes about fractures, etc from GP. Would I bring those along to save any hassles? And also the urine/sample test what does this cover, just your average test. Because, I've been told I can fail this due to protein shakes, anyone share any info on this test/sample?

2. Double post

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  3. Thanks, search helped clear up the first area. Second area is where I'm unclear, is the urine test/sample for CDT purposes, such as cocaine/ecstasy/cannabis and the likes.

I've also heard that it is used to monitor kidney function, etc and this would be why the likes of protein shakes could throw this off and give a false reading. Also would steroid use come into this test, or would you be subject to another test if they thought you were using AS.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

4. Double post

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  5. Anyone?

6. Surely someone will have knowledge on this?
    Don't want to be failing because of protein shakes, etc.

7. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Stop taking them.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren

8. That's a bit blunt care to expand? Hard to get a proper diet sorted, when your constantly working and on call most of the time right now. So they're beneficial, to help me train.

9. Yes, protein shakes can make you fail - and in 2 ways.

Firstly, they may contain dodgy substances - ensure what you're taking is endorsed by Informed Sport (link).

Secondly, protein shakes are a load of crap. There is no evidence from well designed representative trials that they do anything at all. The amount of protein you get from an average shake is the same as in 3oz of lean chicken - why not just eat the chicken as it's a hell of a lot cheaper and tastier. If you take lots of shakes then your body will not use all the protein so it will get rid of it. Guess how it gets out of the body? Yes, you piss it out. Your urine dip will then test positive for protein and you'll fail the medical pending an ultrasound of your kidneys and blood tests to ensure there is nothing wrong with your kidneys (as normal kidneys don't lose protein).

Your call.

10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Blunt or succinct. Either way, it's good preparation for life in the RN.

Crap. I spent most of my naval career working irregular hours, often on call, and continue to do so in my current job. If you can't adapt your dietary habits to accommodate this then you're a biff.

No they don't. They are a lazy way of putting stuff into your body that you can get from a sensible diet, if you can be bothered. Unless you are a professional sportsman (in which case, why are you joining the RN?) there is no need to use them, for a host of reasons. The main one being they make your body smell of granny piss when you sweat.

11. Thanks, already knew that information, just never knew about the ultrasound, etc. Not gonna argue the case about proven studies, and I don't take a lot of protein shakes, I manage to eat where and when possible, there just a viable option if this isn't possible. Also in relation to steroids how does that work out of interest? Would it fall under the same test or would it be a more extensive test if they thought you were using AS?

12. sgtpepperband

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  13. Which particular job are you aiming for, Jason?

14. sgtpepperband

Oxygen Thief, by the sound of it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Wannabe STC

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren

16. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Go on argue the case, its unlikely that AD, as a qualified Doc. knows what He's talking about.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Looking to go in as a marine engineering technician.

Never knew this forum was so bad for getting flamed, all I asked were a couple of simple questions and get slated for it. Would have thought this was to help give information to newbies.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jason

It can't be.

Order some decent, nutritious food and some of those plastic lunch boxes online from Tesco for delivery when you are at home. Put the food in the fridge, when you go to work put some of the food from the fridge into a plastic box and put the box in your bag.

Stop taking the protein shakes today. You don't need them and won't be allowed them at HMS Raleigh so find alternative and better ways to nourish yourself.

19. Thanks for that info but I already do that, my diet changes quite a bit depending on how I'm wanting my body to look. When I have my breaks I have proper nutritional food, pre/post workout I'll have a shake and will most likely have a casein shake before bedtime. That's mainly how often I'll have them, unless the job I'm on doesn't allow me to get a chance to eat.