Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by liverpooltom1, Dec 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys,
    went back to see the doc today after doing a peak flow diary and was told my peak flows weren't consistent enough which I'm gutted about. Even though they are good readings all in there 500s bar one which was 490 and I haven't been treated with asthma for 9 years iv been told if i want i need to appeal. What are my chances of winning an appeal and were will i go from there. Thanks
  2. I suspect there is more to it than that. Peak flow varies with height, so hard to interpret your readings without knowing that, but if there was simply one reading sub-500 I doubt very much that would result in a rejection.

An appeal may succeed if you have been truthful and there isn't more to the story than you have suggested.
  3. Nothing, but they sign a declaration that they are telling the truth. Also, those who lie are generally found out during the first couple of weeks of basic training when the condition flares up. As it is obvious the condition was pre-existing, and that they have lied on their form, they are immediately discharged and are usually declared unfit for further service.

So lie if you like, but we weren't born yesterday and when we find out you're out and won't get a second chance.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Iv been 100% truthful with it when i went the doctor to get him to fill the form out he made me do 3 and said that it was a good reading. What are the chances of winning an appeal ?
  5. I've already answered your question.
  6. Sorry just seen that, thanks for your help
  7. Liverpooltom, the worst thing you can do is lie. As angrydoc stated, you'll soon get found out in basic training. It's a risk not worth taking. If you appeal, in my opinion you should, then i wish you the best of luck lad. :)
  8. You do make me :sign5: Shitmas.
  9. Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but you abuse the privilege. -.-
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Whilst every sympathy is afforded, there's little point appealing against the medical standards for entry because the individual doesn't agree with them or thinks they are unfair. Not going to work.

It's only worth appealing if the individual can categorically prove they do not have a condition - the peak flow diary allows a certain amount of variance, but outside those zones it's rather difficult to retrospectively claim that the variance recorded was not accurate as it casts more doubt on the entire set of readings recorded. The onus is on the individual to prove they don't have asthma, after the peak flow test. This means essentially that more evidence (vitalograph, lung function test etc) is required together with qualified expert medical evidence.

Best of luck.
  11. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

******* lad???!! Check out this salty old , not in yet, steward wannabe!

12. Reminds me of Creddly.
  13. tiddlyoggy

Sorry mate, lost me there, Creddly?
  14. Asked for advice then questioned every answer, total nob who we all had fun with.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  15. tiddlyoggy

Must have been at sea for that one mate, it doesn't ring a bell at all.
  16. It may be worth, if/when you appeal, to ask the RN's respiratory consultant down at INM in Gosport to look at your results? He does have the final say on all things respiratory in the RN, now I'm not sure you would be allowed that seeing as your not in yet, however if you don't ask you don't get!

AUV's have no strings attached
  17. Got my medical Tuesday afternoon, excited/nervous at the same time! :toothy8: