Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by wigan91, Aug 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know the Navys policies on a eating disorders, like anorexia or bulimia?
    Would they bar you from service completley or is there just a certain amount of time that you need to be free from all symptoms and treatment?
  2. Hi Wigan

Cant give you an answer im sure someone who knows for definite will be along soon or try using the search function. :)
  3. It would be something that the AFCO medical advisor would make a decison on at your medical. It is not mentioned in the AFCO form 5 which are the guidance notes for completing your application form.

Was on a different planet this morning obviously, Yes both Anorexia and Bulimia are potentially bars to entry, but at the end of the day the AFCO ME makes the final decision on all medical matters.

Sorry for the duff info

4. Rib Count Diagnosis (RCD) or Vomit Sniff Test (VST) to be carried out at MOs discretion.
  5. This conflicts with the information given here (Ninja Stokers first post on the Guidance Notes on Medical Standards, which is taken from AFCO Form 5 Revised March 07), where Anorexia and Bulimia are both listed under Psychiatric conditions which would be a bar to entry.

Despite the fact that Bulimia and Anorexia Nervosa are both psychological conditions they have obvious physical symptoms. Most 'recovered' anorexics I have seen* still looked painfully thin, and this in itself would be enough to fail the entrance medical. There are numerous threads devoted to BMI standards for the medical.

*My mother knew most of the worst cases in the area, having nursed them 'back to health' (sometimes more than once) or through their final days.
  7. Mate, what a gold mine. Have you got access to their Medical Records and contact details. I'll share with Monty. Yummy
  8. I understand that, yet my bmi has been healthy for the past 2 years and i have no remaining physical symptoms, i'll ask the afco.
  9. Depends on whether it's anorexia or bulimia - very different conditions.
  10. Usual rates?
    I'll say. Bulimics can easily be enticed with Mars Bars.

Anorexics are accomplished in the art of deceit, and can also slip through the bars of your average cellar.
    Usually more trouble than they're worth.

On the plus side, though, they both tend to be so emaciated that they resemble 10-year-old boys.