Medical

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Trigger_92, Nov 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok guys, i know im probably going to get some ribbing for asking this, but what should i wear to my medical ?

Im getting conflicting stories from a lot of people i speak to, My brother who's in the police wore a suit to his and said when he came back that he was told he didnt need to and his friend that went for his medical with the fire brigade said he wore jeans etc.

Now, im trying my best not to sound like another pedantic newbie. But im really stuck, i wore a suit to my RT and i suppose it wouldnt hurt wearing it to the medical, just wondering if there is any specific thing to wear as you'll be stripping down etc. Oh and not to forget the ' Underwear of a modest nature ;)

Cheers, Trigger 8)

2. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

To be honest Trigger, always play it safe for these sort of things. A suit isn't going to hurt and it creates a positive impression that you are serious IMO.

3. I would go in something comfortable. No need for a suit on this occasion, as it is outside of the view of any careers people etc. I just wore jeans and tshirt to mine (I wore suit to AFCO for RT, and wore trousers, shirt, jumper on occasions when I have been since - keeping up appearances and all..). So my advice is just go in casual gear...and yes...leave the kinky underwear at home...

4. CityBoy, did you not go to your afco for your medical ?
    Ive to report to mine at 9AM on tuesday 8o

5. Just make sure you and your Calvin Kleins are clean, very clean sparklingly so, and the rest of your bod as well.

6. Trigger...I had my medical at a doctors surgery nominated by the AFCO. I thought this was standard...maybe not then. If the medical is at your AFCO, don the suit, polish those shoes...fix up look sharp. ;)

7. Done, done and done!
    Cheers guys!
    Trigger 8)

8. i just wore smart casual for the medical

9. Our son had his medical yesterday and he went in his 6th form school uniform which is smart. His medical was carried out by a nominated surgery local to the careers office. He had to report to the AFCO before and after,
    My advice is always smart and iron your boxers :lol:

10. In the good old days people always dressed up to see the doctor.

Harumph.

11. And ill be going dressed up like the good old days ;)

12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Quite.

Top hat, cane & tails for 'blerks', ball gowns for the females.

Can't go wrong. :wink:

13. Well, if you happen to be in glasgow on tuesday morning look out for that description above people ;)
    :D

Thanks for the help guys, appreciated!

14. Wee man - to stand out above the neds frae the schemes why not be a proper choochter and attend proudly wearing your Jockinese Frock.

Then ye will nae hef the bother of the ironing of yon boxsters, either.

:tongue7:

15. HAWL SON !!!! You didny just call me a choochter did you 8O , ill have you know im a weedgie and proud!

Haha, but very good attempt. I actually dont own a kilt, much to every other non scottish person's surprise. The yanks seem to think we walk about them 24/7 !!!

16. Work on it, wee man: 'Glasgow and proud' dont fit together well in the same sentence so you will have to re-invent yourself as a direct descendent of the Bruce or similar legend.

Save up for an outfit of the full highland rig. Always useful and in the FAA they are particularly fond of anything in a skirt.

And dont forget to get yourself a set of Doodlesachs - You don't have to know how to play them well because most people will not be able to tell the difference anyway.

17. I have my medical on thursday, I have to attend the AFCO to pick up some paperwork to take with me to their designated doctor off site and return the paper work to the AFCO the same day

18. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Having spent 5 years in Rosyth, I'm with the Americans on that one.

The only time I saw Scotsmen wear something 'un-Scottish' was when England played Germany in a world cup qualifier a few years back - everyone in the local pubs happened to be wearing German football shirts.

It's good to see the Scots continue to let bygones be bygones. :lol: