Medical

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Nick_Rueth, Oct 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I am applying for the submarine service (TSM) and had my medical today. The doc said that because of my medical history (i.e. i've been prescribed an inhaler) that he would have to appeal to the surgeon commander (or sumthin') and i will have to have my lungs tested (in Portsmouth??). I was wondering if anybody else has been in this position and what the test entails etc etc.

By the way i have been symtom-free for over 4 years.
    Any ideas?

2. Probably a VO2 max test or something (note the spelling), to check out the efficiency of your lungs. Running on a treadmill, connected to a machine which measures the amount of oxygen you can utilise while your body is working.

3. Note the punctuation.

4. I am in a similar situation, but I'm still waiting to hear back from the doctor. I've applied to the FAA, but I was misdiagnosed as asthmatic years ago, and they want to verify that from what I can gather. The doctor told me that he wanted to send me for provocation tests, but even he didn't seem to know that much about them. He wanted to ask the Medical General for his opinion.

I don't know whether you will do the same thing or not, but I wasn't told anything about going to Plymouth! I've been waiting three weeks on any information though!

5. You might want to check out that provocation test, it might involve you dressing in a wren's uniform :wink:

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Medical issues aside the WS(TSM) trade, I was informed yesterday, has no vacancies until after June 2011.

Best of luck.

7. Hahaha! Lets hope it's a tad more scientific than that! :lol:

8. It's not a VO2max test - cardiovascular fitness isn't in question. When a suggestion of bronchial asthma exists we do spirometry with a reversibility test.

Basically, this involves blowing into a machine as hard and for as long as you can - you empty your lungs as much as you can. The machine will chart how fast air can leave your lungs. There shouldn't be a massive difference after taking an inhaler if you are not asthmatic - so you will be given an inhaler then the process repeated. This is the ultimate test of whether or not you have asthma.

In the meantime, to back up your case, go to your GP or practice nurse and ask for a peak flow metre and a peak flow diary. Check your peak flow every day (instructions on the box) and chart it - hopefully the figures will remain pretty constant and this will support your case.

I suspect yours wasn't a misdiagnosis of asthma in the first place - you probably had a chest infection and got a bit of a wheeze during its resolution and were given an inhaler for this. Very common, but we need to make sure you don't have asthmatic tendencies!

All the best

9. AD, can you imagine why an MO would send him on a trip to Portsmouth for a simple test that he can have at his local GP?

10. Doc, this happened to a lad I know.

His AFCO told him the prescription would preclude him and he was a bit cut up -is that correct or did he get the wrong end of the stick?

EDIT: I don't think he used it.

11. Malspal - he's applying for entry as a submariner - the test needs to be done according to a pretty strict protocol.
    Also, most GP surgeries in the UK wouldn't be able to do spirometry with reversibility - they'd be referred for lung function testing at a local respiratory unit.

Zoidberg - your mate shouldn't be precluded because of this, but he will need to complete a peak flow diary (as per my previous post) to prove his lungs are ok now. It's pretty common to have a bit of a wheeze post-infection - nothing to do with asthma, just resolution of infection. The prescription of the inhaler was not wrong (most people attending GPs feel seen off if they don't leave with a prescription!), but the condition would have resolved itself without any intervention.

12. Cheers, doc. I'll send him to read that post.

13. Thanks for that!

14. Sorry to dig up an old post,

But this is exactly what happened to me. I have my medical on the 24th of this month and i am really worrying about the whole asthma palava.

Quick run down ; I had a serious chest infection when i was 12 which resulte in me being admitted to hosptial, then being discharged and prescribed an inhaler. I used the inhaler for about a month after being discharged as there was a wheezed still present, Im now 17 and havent used the inhaler since (5 years). i was NEVER diagnosed as having asthma, and was wondering if this will hinder me when i go for my medical.

Thanks for taking the time to read this,
    Trigger :D

Ps. If it helps, im going for ET(ME) !

15. I can't really help you because I don't have the knowledge, but in my situation I have been symptom free of diagnosed asthma for 6 years and not had a prescription for 4 years and today I was declared medically fit after completing a 28 day peak flow diary, hope this helps.

16. so did you go for your medical, and then they asked you to complete the 28 day peak flow diary ? :)

17. As previously stated, you will need to be treatment-free for 4 years and complete a 28 day peak flow diary. Go and see your GP asthma nurse and get a peak flow meter and crack on with it. Shows initiative and all that.

18. Yep, but as angrydoc says, if you go and get a peak flow meter and start one before your medical you'll get it done with sooner.

Angrydoc is really in a far better place than me to give you information though

19. i think ive got one from years ago kicking about my house somewhere, ill start on it tomorrow if i find it!

sorry if i sound really stupid here, but wont they ask who told me to do this? Or is this in black and white somewhere that ive just not came across yet ?

Trigger

20. You did some research and found out that it is found useful. This is called initiative, and is generally regarded as a good thing.