Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by rodeo, Sep 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi. i have my medical in 2 weeks and i have a question.i was in a car accident 8 years ago and my doc said i was suffering from pt stress.he put me on medication for this and it made me sick so he said if i was sick i couldnt be suffering from the just that its on my records will it be a problem?
  2. Not if you are honest with the Doc at the medical.
  3. i know it sounds funny but dats wot the doc said.i think he is a bit of an ass
  4. Based on what? You not understanding what he said?

The word is 'arse' by the way.
  5. well i was on med for a week and i got sick i quit them and i stopped gettig sick and there was noting wrong with the old brain
  6. I think that's open to debate.
  7. Taken from Medical Standards for entry into the Naval Service

Psychiatric disorders

Ongoing psychiatric illness. Psychosis. Schizophrenia Obsessive-compulsive
    disorder. Autism. Personality disorder. More than one episode of deliberate
    self-harm of any type. Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Alcohol, drug or
    substance dependence. Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) unless
    free of symptoms and not requiring treatment for at least 3 years.
  8. Jenny is the best one to answer this, right up her alley.
    The medication was probably an anti-depressant, they can do wierd and wonderful things until you get the right one.
    This was some time ago, do you consider yourself over the accident? Do you have flash backs, I don't mean remembering the accident, but visions coming back at unexplainable times.
    Be honest with the Doc, PTSD can come back to bite you when you least expect it, but the correct counselling to put strategies in place to cope with it can help.
  9. Is that the direct quote from JSP346? If not, can you provide this? I'm not sure why you've emphasised the second half of the sentence re: ADHD - I can't see the relevance here. My interpretation of that quote (bearing in mind I am not an occupational physician) would be:

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a bar to entry, unless free of symptoms and not requiring treatment for at least 3 years. Any other psychiatric history (incl. PTSD, which is what seems to be described here) = forget it.

10. The emphasis was meant to cover the whole paragraph as the OP had been free from symptoms for 8 yrs.

The quote is from Ninja's FAQ's
  11. Ah - right. That would put a different spin on things. It wasn't clear from the formatting.

12. This sounds strange.

It depends on what you were suffering with in the first place that made your GP think of PTSD. Tablets making you feel sick isn't anything concerning (side effect of most tablets is nausea), but the whole "if you get sick you don't have the condition" bit sounds a bit dubious.

PTSD is an overdiagnosed condition and there has to be certainty that it was correct. If it was, then that is a bar to entry. From what you have said though, it doesn't sound like you had PTSD (it doesn't clear up quickly at all, and generally requires counselling and not tablets).

I'd suggest going to see your GP and having a chat about it. I doubt you will have any problems.