MEDICAL

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by rswo, Feb 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My son just pasted his Psychometric test :D and has got his medical in 2 weeks time. Can anyone give some advice on the following:

1. What does the Medical consist of?
    2. Does he need to be able to touch his toes? (Might sound a daft/bone question however my friends son got delayed joining another service until he could)
    3. What happens after medical?

Thanks

2. My medical consisted of a hearing test, some questions, and a quick check up which lasted about 30 seconds.

I didnt need to touch my toes, and I cant.

After my medical i had the fitness test.But i think different afco's do the preliminary joining process in different orders.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

1. The medical comprises an eye test (contracted out), hearing test, colour perception test, blood pressure & heart, lungs, height, weight, urine & previous medical history check.

The following has been lifted from the RN Website:

The Armed Forces require anyone who joins to be medically fit to serve worldwide. New entrants to the Armed Forces undergo intensive training which is physically demanding and mentally taxing. New entrants must be of a robust constitution and free from disease or pre-existing injury to meet this challenge. If you do decide to apply and your application is accepted, you will be required to pass a full medical examination. Your application will be rejected if you fail to meet the minimum acceptable medical standard for entry. Before a Medical Officer examines you, you are asked to declare certain information about your medical history to identify obvious medical conditions for which rejection is automatic. Please note that your application will be rejected if:
    You suffer from Epilepsy You suffer from Diabetes You suffer or have suffered from Asthma in the past four years You suffer from Colitis, Crohns Disease, or any other long standing bowel disorder or have had your spleen removed You have ever had a detached retina or corneal transplant You suffer from Rheumatoid Arthritis, or any other bone or joint disordersThe above list is not exhaustive and you may find that your application is rejected due to other medical conditions, not listed, but which are subject to the discretion of the examining doctor or Service Medical Authorities.

2. You are expected to have a reasonable degree of flex in your back. The Medical Examiner will advise if there is a problem at the Medical.

3. After passing the medical you have 28 days to complete the Pre-Joining Fitness Test.

4. Thanks,

Can you confirm that the fitness test is not done at the medical and lastly were would it be done (Doing everything at the Glasgow office so far)?

Ps is the 1.5 miles time 12mins and 20 second and is it on a tread mill?

RSWO

5. Gets done at a gym nearby unless their is facility at your local AFCO i believe but i'm sure someone will come and correct me soon, I can confirm it is not done at the medical though.

6. Ninja_Stoker

The fitness test is separate to the medical & conducted at a contracted gym, having been booked by the applicant themselves AFTER passing the medical. (Often the contracted gym is Fitness First)

7. Son, done an eye test a couple of weeks ago, with no problems. He has been told to do another one after paying for the first one and handing it in. Why would this be? Lots of time off at a busy time of his six form. Why is there no interviews or tests on a Saturday? Who are we trying to make life easy for?

8. For the same reason he can't get a note from his doctor saying "He's healthy, let him in", use some common sense.

9. Ninja_Stoker

ALL eyesight tests are free for those in full time education, so it maybe worth considering requesting a refund from the optician that charged your son initially. The RN eyesight test has to be evaluated & graded for RN standards by a contracted optician (usually Dollond & Aitchison) This is clearly explained on the letter given to all candidates before the eyetest.

In line with the majority of employers, we do not conduct bespoke selection tests, interviews or medicals for individuals on an ad hoc basis. As it is, the Medical examinations cost a fortune on weekdays. Most sixth formers attend an average of around 20 hours of lessons per week & it is hoped they may like to demonstrate the initiative to arrange a mutually convenient time to visit the AFCO during the other 20 hours per week or possibly during one of their other 13 weeks annual holiday. Experience demonstrates that generally even those working full time manage without fuss if they genuinely want a job.

With regard making life easy, the gymnasiums contracted to conduct the PJFTs are usually open to 20:00 each night & open on both saturdays & sundays, however they do not conduct home visits as a rule. The Royal Navy & Royal Marines are seeking dynamic, fit, motivated & intelligent individuals who are prepared to endure armed conflict with the tenacity to fight & win. It is therefore hoped that it's not too much to ask those wishing to join to visit an AFCO during the normal office working week as has been the case for the previous 30+ years.

10. Rodger to that however are we not after them to join a bit more than in previous years! Are we not under manned? Are the ladies and gents in the field or at sea working more hrs due to under mannning and we cant get a interview on a Saturday. Yes we could delay things until the summer holidays however that would make the process even longer.

Secondly, ref eye test it was the AFCO who sent him for the first eye test and received the results. Therefore why get another?

Secondly I would love to find out what my son and his mates are doing at school if they are only doing 20hrs as you quoted!

Thanks for your text book answer, it most be my sons fault for not showing initiative :( 30 years and we are still getting it wrong in some aspects of recruitment! Yes I do speak with some experience!

Thanks again for your help :D

11. Ninja_Stoker

Good points.

Whilst wishing not to appear glib, applications are at the highest in 5 years, however the quality of candidate required remains unchanged.

Officer intakes are now reduced to 3 times a year, so the next entry with vacancies is September, so far as AFCOs are concerned (Easter would be a good time to complete selection process elements) & Ratings applications have tripled nationally since September 08.

The restriction in the training pipeline is the limited training places available rather than the AFCO processing times, despite the fact there has been no noticeable uplift in AFCO manning levels or more importantly, in phase one manning. At present phase one establishments have "stockpiles" of trainees in the majority of trades who have passed the selection process awaiting entry. Sadly some of the shortage categories (In "old money" Steward, Chef etc.,) simply do not attract the volume of suitable applicants required.

With regard the eyetest, as stated, we are obliged to use the contracted optician if they are available in your area. The history behind this is that many opticians are unfamiliar with the Visual Acuity grading system & mistakes are made - it is not uncommon for wrong gradings to be given thus excluding or restricting candidates career options. Mistakes were also made when AFCOs conducted the eyetest by Medical Examining staff - hence the reason it's been contracted-out.

With regard experience in recruiting- every day is a school day & most service people consider themselves familiar with the system because they have been through it themselves at some point. It would be completely arrogant to suggest that AFCO's always get it right, far from it. It takes around 12-18 months to learn the job of Careers Adviser & on average there have been around 60 changes to recruiting procedures per year over the previous 4 years.

It is unfortunate that the recruiting process is felt to be lacking in availability, but doubtless the prospect of AFCO staff working alternate weekends similar to yourself, would be in conradiction of 2SL's pesonnel functional standards.

12. Thanks,

Ref the eye test again, he went to the right place and had the correct paperwork done. I have now been told this should not have been done before the test therefore he needs to do it again. Will turn to the right and gain height and get on with it.

Thanks again.

13. hi all,i have just passed my test to enter as a mem.but i cannot move the tip of my little finger it does not restrict me doing anything i can do anything a normal hand can do hold a hammer,spanner,screw driver ect will i be refused into the navy and also should i phone to find out my local office and talk about this with someoe in case i am wasting my time
    regards
    yanny1

14. You have to be able to have both eyes shut, open your right eye (whilst keeping your left closed, still) and then shut it. May sound stupid, but you've gotta be able to do it to fire a gun, found that out on my medical! Hope that helps!

15. Ninja_Stoker

Perhaps it may have been an idea to ask the question before you sat the test, but yes, speak to the medical examiner in your AFCO if you want a definitive answer.

Not at all- A top tip for those wondering about the mobility of their little finger.

16. I hope you're happy Harvey, I'm now sat here making sure I can do that just in case!

17. After a few beastings in basic, you'll learn that it's a rifle! :p

18. A rifle is a gun.

On the subject of eye tests now, I went to a Specsavers as it's my nearest local opticians. I got it free because of some tax credit or whatever it is. I honestly don't know what the deal with that was, my mum's the one that sorted it.

Anyway, I have the form that the printed off to say my eyesight was perfectly fine. Is it policy for all applicants to undergo an eye test courtesy of the navy?

19. Ninja_Stoker

Yes

20. Woops. :oops: