Medical

Thanks everyone! I've got my medical this week! X
what did medical entail, I commenced my application back in November, seems slow moving, my app was deferred as there was a mention of excema in my med questionnaire but since I hadn't seen a GP in 7 years I was able to continue forward. I am now awaiting F2F medical appointment from Capita. What do they check?

Waspie

War Hero
what did medical entail, I commenced my application back in November, seems slow moving, my app was deferred as there was a mention of excema in my med questionnaire but since I hadn't seen a GP in 7 years I was able to continue forward. I am now awaiting F2F medical appointment from Capita. What do they check?
To be honest, what difference would knowing make? As long as your fit and haven't held anything back you'll be good to go. Everyone is apprehensive about medicals. Just turn up, be prepared to have the jewels held by cold hands and think of England.
Good luck.

Supportive Dad

Lantern Swinger
My boy had his medical recently. A lot of it was checking movement. The hearing test was difficult to do although he passed it. No examination of crown jewels. He brought the breathing test home to do. (Blow hard in a tube every day for a week and record results).

Salty-Dog

War Hero
My boy had his medical recently. A lot of it was checking movement. The hearing test was difficult to do although he passed it. No examination of crown jewels. He brought the breathing test home to do. (Blow hard in a tube every day for a week and record results).
Reminds me of a dit in David Niven's book 'The Moon's a Balloon'.
Recruits were told to get in the sprinting start position. Then the Dr grabbed their crown jewels and said 'cough'. One thought he said 'Off!'

Martnet

Midshipman
@Martiniwitholives Having recently come to the end of a VERY long and involved medical application, I'll put in my bit. As others have said, you're overthinking. If there's something that is important to disclose, it won't be something you forgot about. When you have your phone triage, they'll go back over your form and then ask some specific questions, mostly follow-up to what you've already mentioned. Answer their questions exactly as they are put to you, don't leave anything out on purpose, and be as honest as you can. You won't be faulted as long as you stick to that...and they won't expect that you have recently had a look at your own medical records. When you get to the F2F medical, the Dr might reiterate some of the same questions, and the same thing applies...be honest, answer directly exactly what is asked.

Finally, don't panic if you get made TMU after your triage. This is really common and it just means they are following up with your GP to get more info from your medical records on whatever gets flagged up. If that info satisfies their requirements, you'll go on to the F2F.

Be patient...everything moves very slowly in this process and it usually takes Capita several weeks at each stage to get around to reviewing the latest batch of paperwork. Good luck!

Thank you for everyone who commented on this! I did go to the Medical and passed. I disclosed my concerns to him and went over the questionnaire again, He told me I was too honest!
I actually go to Rayleigh next week and I am so nervous its unreal! my application has only taken from February when I applied. My fitness is just there but would have liked it to be more to make it easier overall but I am eager to give everything my best!

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Thank you for everyone who commented on this! I did go to the Medical and passed. I disclosed my concerns to him and went over the questionnaire again, He told me I was too honest!
I actually go to Rayleigh next week and I am so nervous its unreal! my application has only taken from February when I applied. My fitness is just there but would have liked it to be more to make it easier overall but I am eager to give everything my best!
It's Raleigh, not Rayleigh, just saying ;)

Latest Threads