Medical

Hi guys so I’ve just recently passed my RT and I’ve been able to do a number of jobs Royal Marines and AB are my main choices but I’m slightly worried about my medical as I had a lot of issues before hand with it regarding LONG QT I have never suffered from this condition and never been medicated for it but I’m wondering if the Royal Marines would take me with a history of such condition?

Hi guys so I’ve just recently passed my RT and I’ve been able to do a number of jobs Royal Marines and AB are my main choices but I’m slightly worried about my medical as I had a lot of issues before hand with it regarding LONG QT I have never suffered from this condition and never been medicated for it but I’m wondering if the Royal Marines would take me with a history of such condition?
So long QT is caused by many things. It’s more common in females. It can be inherited or caused by medications, it can also be caused by electrolyte imbalances.
There are some recommended treatment options depending on it’s cause.
Sometimes Beta blockers are required, and in rare cases surgery to restrict the amount of chemicals flowing around the heart (sympathectomy)
In most cases lifestyle changes are required.
One of which is to avoid strenuous exercise

In the short term your GP can investigate the cause of your long QT. If it’s something minor then it can be changed. If it’s inherited then lifestyle management and/or medication if and when it becomes required.
Don’t panic but get down to your GP and ask him to investigate

Hi guys thank you for your reply’s,
The reason why I put this up is that before I applied for the Commandos I applied for the army they made me Appel my case and then passed me through to selection when I got to the selection the said no and that I’m not fit for service but there was loads of confusion and they really messed me around my cardiologist sent a number of letters saying that I was fit for service as he has come to the conclusion that I am just a gene carrier and that I may have the gene but considering I have never been medicated my ECG has always given a normal/above average reading and I’m very psychically fit
And never had any issues with my heart. The army related my conditioning to sudden death but I do not have an symptoms of that type of long Qt and nether has any of my family I may even be possibly discharged from the hospital visits as here is no need for me to visit. So what I’m wondering is would the navy or Royal Marines take the same action as the army did even though I have a number of letters stated I am fully capable of military service. Thanks guys

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'm not an expert on such matters, but I understand that the basic medical standards are the same for all services. Your best bet would be to visit the local AFCO and see what they say.

I would agree with Janner above.
The only real answer would be from the careers office. Asking here will just get you lots of supposition.
The Long QT syndrome is A risk factor in suddenly death and is why one of the recommendations is to avoid very strenuous excercise - as I posted above.
Your civilian cardiaologist May assume you are fit for military service but that does not negate the services having selection criteria and medical criteria. Your cardiologist is merely raising the opinion he holds. The military will decide based on their own criteria backed up by one of their own speciality doctors advice.
So best go speak to the careers office
Good luck

Unless your civvy doctor is also an MoD doctor he may not know what criteria the military have, he's just offering an opinion of what he feels would make you fit for service.