Medical worries

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by jimjimjim, Oct 28, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey all,

Heading to my second medical next week. Passed my first one last year then got shin splints in June of this year. While I was injured I kept up my cycling and swimming and I've not had it happen again since I've been running again with new trainers, but I've not pushed myself as hard as I had previously.

Has anyone had any experience with going for another medical after shin splints? Could I fail my medical even if it's just been the one occurrence? I'm going for MA (Gen) if that makes a difference.

2. I am no authority, there are others here who are but.. I did some searching for you while I was bored. It appears shin splints are quite common in the armed forces . Some can bare the pain others cant and drop out. Getting some support for the arches of your foot seems to help .

It appears shin splints can go away on thier own and yours seem to have done so therefore look into prevention . There seems to be plenty on the net about this subject . From what Ive seen you shouldnt have any trouble. Thats just a casual observers take on it.
  3. Well there you go. Medical advice not required as some ****nut with a browser is the expert.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (iOS)
  4. Get some good insoles I had shin splints and after a few weeks using them the pain was gone

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

A word of warning: a recurring history of shin splints or prescribed orthotic insoles can be a bar to entry.
  6. LOL fair one I asked for that serves me right for being bored .....
  7. To be fair when I went to the docs he printed me out a page on shin splints he got off Google. I don't have insoles, could non-prescription ones help prevention and how are they viewed by the navy?

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app
  8. I had insoles given to me by the physio at collingwood after I screwed my knee up when i was teaching leadership courses as i wasnt getting enough support plus got a pair of lowas which also helped but, they also helped with my shin splints i used to get every now and then. So they worked for me but thats not to say they will for you as everyone is different.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Subject to confirmation by a qualified individual:

The standards for entry with regard prescription orthotic insoles differ to the medical standard for those already serving. The issue is simply that if you have a condition such as this, prior to joining that is significant enough to need prescribed treatment, then it is likely to get worse during the rigours of training. If it develops after joining then it is arguably service attributed and the service will not discharge the individual unless they have an undisclosed pre-existing condition - it otherwise costs them lots.

Off the shelf insoles, such as sorbathane, bought by the indivdual are not usually a bar unless you have a recurrent medical history of the problem.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. One option is to go for the off the shelf insoles and follow online guidance on management of shin splints - essentially your ground reaction force on heel strike needs to be controlled as you go into 'mid stance' (an arch support controls here) which in turn reduces the rotational tortion of your tibia that exacerbates the shin splints. You could always see a podiatrist privately of course!!!

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  11. For ****s sake.

Don't get off the shelf insoles as they will not be moulded to your feet and may end up making things worse. If you're going to self-diagnose and self-treat then at least get your gait analysed and have individual insoles made. Any decent running shop will do this for about £40.

Regarding medical stuff, if you don't know then don't just make random suggestions. It isn't as helpful as you think it is.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (iOS)
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Thanks for the replies, my medical is this week so I'll see what the Doc says before getting insoles or trying to change my gait.

Unless of course he says get out your legs are ****ed.