Medical, what should I expect?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by keiranginge, Dec 21, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello there!

I've got my medical on the 26th of January and honestly, I'm really quite nervous! The way I see it is; every pre-joining test is up to you if you pass or fail, except the medical. You can train to run faster, you can study the RT to some degree and you can practice interviews all day long but you can't train, study or practice your way through a medical.

As far as I know I have nothing medically wrong with me, I haven't even been to the GP in like 3 years. However, I am absolutely terrified of the medical exam showing something up that will not only bar me from entry but effect my life in other manors.

I may just be worrying far too much, but if anyone could give me a brief outline of what happens in the medical (i.e what tests they do etc) it would help put my mind at rest!

Cheers in advance :)
  2. In my day if you had two of everything that you should have and could manage to cough when the doc cradled yer balls you were in.
    I gather that their lordships have made it more difficult these days:D

However stop worrying, if you do fail then at least you will know of any medical problems which require sorting out.
    Perhaps you can make an appointment with your local GP and get a check up
  3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

There's a mass of info on the medical already, type medical into to search box (top right) and all will be revealed
  4. Angry Doc had an answer for this one , 'The worried well ' but as Slim points out if you feel that strongly about it go and see your GP.
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

6. Cheers for the advice everyone! And thanks for the link Ninja, that's exactly what I was looking for!
  7. I had one recently and know a few people who did it as well.

First they will do a basic history. Any chronic problems, family genetics, any surgery, all hospital visits, any x-rays, skin conditions etc. They want to know if you have had any broken bones and will want a doctor's note on resulting condition.For all of the above they will want your medical notes, so might be handy to bring them.

Then eye test. The regulations aren't that strict. If you have glasses they want a prescription but the limit is +/-6 dipoles ( which is huge). They will also do a peripheral vision check and colour blindness test.

Then you strip (to underwear) and will do a series of movements (which you should have got with your email) and a physical examination (no physical examination of genitals!). The doctor will then ask you to move certain limbs and watch if your muscles move correctly as well as hammer testing. A BMI will be recorded, 28 is fail mark with exceptions for muscular people and if you fail this you will only be Temporarily Medically Unfit.

They will ask you blink each eye separately. I know it sounds basic but i know someone who was failed for this so practice.

Finally they do a hearing test which from all accounts is impossible to fail.

You should be able to pass no problem as long as you are sensible with what you say and have any relevant doctor's notes. Remember they can't access your medical files.

It may different with different doctors but this is what i know they are like in Manchester.
    • Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  8. I have no idea whether that statement is true or not, (I'm hoping it's a typo) I imagine it's more likely that they can't access your medical files unless you give them permission. Which, if they ask for your permission, you wouldn't really have a choice about because if you said no then alarm bells would ring and your application will be in the bin quicker than Usain Bolt can run the 100m.

Do not lie to them! If I am correct, in your first week at Raleigh/BRNC a doctor picks apart every aspect of your medical history and can discharge you on medical grounds at any point. Honesty is the best policy. If you have a condition that will bar you from entry and you don't disclose it you are only delaying the inevitable and it will hurt a heck of a lot more for it to happen a year or two down the line when you have finally over come the whole recruitment process and had a few days to settle into basic.

Good luck and don't stress out about it. There is nothing scary about it, just a 1 on 1 with a doctor in your underpants. If you don't like that then you certainly won't like the showers when you get in. ;).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 1
  9. is it really impossible to fail? it is the only part that i am worried about.
  10. FFS of course it isn't impossible to fail. Dear God, it's bad enough people worrying about stuff they can practice for without worrying about stuff they've no control over.
  11. fair point, i was curious as to why he put that about ''impossible to fail''

I am hoping to join as a chef and am worried i will fail the medical because i have slight hearing loss in my left ear.
  12. Do you know whether you have passed on the day of the medical?
  13. Yes they will tell you if you have passed or if you are TMU or PMU.
  14. Thanks

15. Ninja_Stoker

A belated "Bollix, you are talking shoite".

You sign a consent form so the service can access your entire medical records.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Exactly how strict are they for the medical? For instance, if you have never had any of the issues on the form that would make you unemployable, but have previously had low mood for instance (not depression), would you fail on that?

17. I have previously had low moods, I was in the Navy before (when I was a lot younger) and that was partially why I left. They have still allowed me to reapply, which is a great positive. I am a much more level headed, mature person now.
    I just know that since Capita have taken over the medicals it has been mega strict and I am concerned that they will look over my health questionnaire and laugh in my face!

18. Yeah, you would!! :) thanks

19. The hearing test isn't "impossible to fail". I was declared PMU last week due to hearing loss in one ear. :(
  20. Ninja_Stoker

Sorry to learn of your circumstances. Unfortunately, some people do fail the elements tested - otherwise the tests would be rather pointless and it is totally incorrect of anyone to suggest otherwise.