Medical waiting times

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Home bird, May 29, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know the current waiting times for when your medical is transferred to the navy doctor. Had a medical paper review on 7th May and it has now been passed on further. I have an innocent heart murmur. Thanks
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Difficult to accurately guess but assuming you've had an EGG, the results went to the Occupational Health doctor and were then forwarded to the senior medical officer, I'd allow about 4 weeks after the paper review for a decision.

Good luck.
  3. Thank you Ninja. My echo and ECG came back normal but I still do have a slight innocent heart murmur. Does anyone know what my chances are?
  4. Ninja_Stoker

If it's a benign heart murmur, it's usually resolved without referral to the SMO, so one can only imagine there maybe related medical issues or the murmur is borderline.

Either way, it would be easy to say no - it appears they are trying to give you every opportunity to be passed fit.
  5. This is a little off topic but I felt like venting. The medical has been the one part of the process that has been an issue. Everything done through my CA went smoothly, but I've been waiting since I was TMU'd in mid November to get my second medical, mainly due to incompetence. I had to wait a month for the wrong tests to be carried out by my GP, then I had to wait 6 weeks for an ECG and 24 hour blood pressure monitor (the tests that were originally asked for) at the hospital, then my GP decided simply not to send the results away until mid March. Spoke to my CA in late April to see what was happening and finally got my second medical date for the 2nd June. It's been a cock up from start to finish.If something is wrong tomorrow I'll actually lose my mind.

I hope everything works out a bit better for you than it has for me Home Bird. Good luck.
  6. I feel like venting too. Awaiting my fourth. Yes FOURTH medical. If I was any less persistent, Capita would have lost the RN a very able candidate!

Edited to note that my CA/AFCO have been fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  7. Man that's annoying, I remember discussing it with you as well and since then I've done everything and just had my pre joining brief today. I do think though as you said could be a deterrent for some people and even my careers advisor said not a lot of people stick at that point. Others may say it weedles out the people that don't show enough enthusiasm or determination to go through it all.

None the less I wish you all the best of luck with your medicals.
  8. Thanks. Regarding you becoming Medically fit, did your records get sent to the SMO? If you don't mind me asking?

9. Oh christ don't say that, please. I'm gonna have to think happy thoughts the rest of the evening now!;) I don't understand how they expect you to stay motivated under these conditions. I'm pretty laid back, but I know so many people who would have given up by then.
  10. Lol I'm sure you'll be sorted tomorrow. It's probably just me that Capita have been incredibly particular with. Still, I suppose even if TMU reaches a year (few months off yet!) it's just a blip compared to the length of a full Naval career

11. Nope, got told to do a peak flow chart and then was never asked for it and a second appointment was made which I never had to attend and that was it. It still took around 5-6 months still haha.
  12. Try telling that to my mother and I'll buy you drinks for the rest of your life! ;)
  13. Ah ok so this is 8th month for me. Two attended Medicals and one paper medical so far. Apparently the next Medical is also of the paper variety so haven't got to make something up to get a random day off work. Ive been advised by Capita that they'll be referring it to the SMO eventually too so was hoping you may be able to advise on the wait for that if you had to go through it, but as you didn't, never mind lol. Glad one of us has made it through!! Good luck with training

14. Lol my folks think I'm being messed around and that I should give up! Good support network ay

15. I'm currently waiting for results from SMO. 4 weeks so far. Anyone know what the current waiting times are to get results from SMO?
  16. Ninja_Stoker

The SMO usually turns referrals around about 4 to 6 weeks from receipt. She also deals with medical appeals & unfortunately a large number of unfounded appeals tend to snarl-up the system unnecessarily.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Does anyone know if there's a backlog of appeals with the SMO at the moment? I've passed the 6 week waiting point for my result already and the 'not knowing' is starting to take its toll !!

Should I be expecting to wait a few extra weeks for my result due to summer holidays etc? Or is there anyone I should be giving a nudge to?

If I know there's a few weeks delay it should put my mind at rest again

Edited to note that my case isn't an appeal... Its purely gone to SMO at Capita's decision

18. I'm in a similar boat to you at the moment! (No pun intended!)

Been at the medical stage for just over a year now!

I was told at the end of May that Capita had sent my results through and to expect up to a 3 month wait for a decision. I then received a phone call from my Capita doctor around 5 weeks ago to say that she knew the results were with the SMO and it's a still a horrible waiting game!

Good luck to you!
  19. I'm a month or two away from being TMU for a year... really hope it doesn't trail on for that long! Capita referred me on at the start of June but I've heard that once your records get to SMO its 5-6 weeks which it has been. Wish there was something that I could do to speed up finding out if it's a yay or nay!!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015