Medical Type Officer Ambitions

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by scottyboi7, Dec 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Re: Commission

Hey im currently and MA and am hoping to apply for commission to become a medical officer in order to gain more knowledge and become the equivalent to a doctor. one PO told me you had to be atleast a senior rate before applying for commission, does anyone know if this is true or does anybody know the rules and regs for commisssion??

2. Sadly I think not Stix.

Mind you, anyone who starts a post with 'hey' is suspect in my opinion.
  3. Re: Commission

I want to become the equivalent of a King, but it is unlikely.
  4. MA to get a commission IMO I think you may have to go down the Naval nurse route. MA to doc just doesn't happen.
  5. I heard about some transferring to student nurse
  6. And where did you hear this?
  7. Re: Commission

RR has now taken over from the divisional system. Don't you just love the internet.
  8. If you are a serving MA then I despair at your complete lack of knowledge as to what a doctor is and what a nurse is. Both require degree level study and registration with national regulatory bodies - you cannot simply branch transfer into them.

MS Officers are non-clinical. This means they don't see patients if any sort, even though many seem to think they know more medicine than the average doctor.
  9. I was also thinking of changing branches to the E.R branch, after all, I'm good with blood and I've watched 'Carry On Doctor' a few times and I used to walk around the Op's room quoting "Ooooohhh Matron!"

Not only this, I've played with Nurses, I've drunk urine and have also ended up in hospital on occasions.

I'm over qualified if you ask me.
  10. in a conversation with someone about joining the navy. not sure if this was true. As mentioned I think it involves going for selection for it.
  11. I was thinking about transfering and becoming a Brain Surgeon. Heard you only need 2 GCSE's and I've plenty more than that an A-levels so it would be a walk in the park.
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

OK, who left the medical cabinet unlocked at keogh? :wink:
  13. As a rule of thumb if someone says to me they "heard from someone" about an allowance/course/draft etc I went to the appropriate authorities to get the gen dit.

Saves you looking a [email protected] when you slap in for something based on hearsay.
  14. Especially listening to someone who is still yet to join the RN
  15. thanks for the advice