Medical timeline

lifeatsea

Midshipman
Hi all,

I sent my medical forms of this week and passed my eye test recently too. Just curious on what order things happen next...

Do capita request my GP records before the triage call or is this done before I go for a face to face medical? Anyone have any recent experiences of going through this stage and know how long everything took to process?

mick1199

Lantern Swinger
I went through this whole process a few months ago, and technically I guess I’m still going through the medical albeit at the very last stage. Meanwhile the rest of my application continued as normal. You’ll be told during the triage call what the outcome is. If there’s no issues flagged up on your medical questionnaire then you may be passed fit. If not then you’ll more than likely be made TMU (temporarily medically unfit) and have to source information for your GP. If you’re passed fit you’re laughing. If not, then you might spend a few weeks to a few months sorting out your medical. To put things into perspective I spent a few months going back and forth from my GP to Capita, then was passed fit. Only at the face to face medical I was told more information was needed which took even longer.

lifeatsea

Midshipman
ah okay! @mick1199 So they don't bother requesting your GP records until the face to face stage? I am assuming these have to be checked through at some point to get a full picture of your health before passing you fit.

How long did you wait for your triage call after sending your docs off?

mick1199

Lantern Swinger
ah okay! @mick1199 So they don't bother requesting your GP records until the face to face stage? I am assuming these have to be checked through at some point to get a full picture of your health before passing you fit.

How long did you wait for your triage call after sending your docs off?
They’ll request medical records if and when they need them, if you’re made unfit for any reason. This will more than likely be during you triage call and you’ll know then what your status is. Due to numerous gaffs I had to get info from my GP after my own triage call, having been classed unfit and was later passed fit a month or so later. I was then made unfit again at my face to face medical because the information was incomplete, unbeknownst to me and therefore had to gather more info.

They don’t really request medical records as such, it’s more so a letter they send to your GP with parts to fill in concerning whatever conditions Capita have flagged up. If and when they receive any documents that are needed, Capita will carry out what they call a paper review where a doctor will basically go through the info on their end and make a decision. Likewise, at my own face to face medical the doctor went through the notes and documents on my file, which was when she noticed they didn’t have the full picture.

Due to all the faff on I had it was a few months at least between my triage call and actual in person medical. Usually because they don’t seem to bother carrying out a full medical until they can discern whether you’re fit or not beforehand. After all, no point paying for a medical for someone who is clearly not fit for service. As for sending my medical questionnaire off, it was a couple of weeks maybes for it to reach them and then to book a triage call.

Funny enough I’ve literally just found out in the last few hours that I’ve finally been passed fit again and given the go ahead to start training late next month.

My son's F2F has been postponed 3 times so it can take quite a while. When he filled in the initial questionnaire he mentioned some surgery he had when he was small. Capita asked for further info from his GP in relation to this. The GP took nearly 2 months to get the info together. Eventually the info got to Capita and they were satisfied that these matters were closed. Then the F2F was arranged for mid-February but Covid seems to have interfered with getting it done. Next appointment due in a couple of weeks. If you have no history of medical issues it could all go through quite quickly, but that involves a fair bit of luck it seems.

lifeatsea

Midshipman
thanks for the responses here guys. very interesting to hear others experiences so far :) sounds like it is impossible to know how long it could take, just have to cross my fingers there aren't any major delays!

glad you finally got your date @mick1199! and I hope the rest of the process goes smoothly for your son @Supportive Dad :)

FuryIsHere

Badgeman
I'm on this stage aswell.

So I sent my forms off and I had a wait for my eye test, however a day after they got my forms I had my triage call and then I was told I was going to be given TMU to get some info from my GP.

Literally in the same week, I had got them the additional info and done my eye test.

I'm now just waiting to find out what's going on next, so far been about 3 weeks waiting, they have had an email from me saying eye test and additional info is with them and I got replay saying they will update my file.

I have asked how long will it take for me to get a decision, with no reply (surprise, surprise)

So I'm back to playing the patient game again now.

mick1199

Lantern Swinger
I'm on this stage aswell.

So I sent my forms off and I had a wait for my eye test, however a day after they got my forms I had my triage call and then I was told I was going to be given TMU to get some info from my GP.

Literally in the same week, I had got them the additional info and done my eye test.

I'm now just waiting to find out what's going on next, so far been about 3 weeks waiting, they have had an email from me saying eye test and additional info is with them and I got replay saying they will update my file.

I have asked how long will it take for me to get a decision, with no reply (surprise, surprise)

So I'm back to playing the patient game again now.
If you want to hurry them, ring Capita. They can literally take months to reply to emails, and only ever seemed have replied to the ones I sent with actual information attached that they needed. Otherwise I was just ignored. CO will be able to give you a number if you haven’t already got one. A lot of the time they’ll sit on stuff until it’s your turn on the list. Phoning will usually prompt them to pull their fingers out.

Latest Threads