Medical Technician

Discussion in 'RFA' started by camspiper, May 15, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello everyone, am new here. For a short while I've been considering joining as a Med Tech. I'm currently working as an NHS Paramedic. Are many Paramedics coming into the RFA as Med Techs? Is joining this branch particularly difficult to get into?

2. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

There are 24 posts on the subject of Med Techs in the
    RFA forum as recently as March.
    Sorry I can't link on the phone.

Data on the backgrounds of recent recruits may be sketchy. The established RFA Med Techs I've met are all ex RN. But it's your competence and qualifications that matter, not your uniform.

3. Hi camspiper. The rfa had a list of suitable applicants for med tech listed on the website. It may still be there but essentially it said the kind of applicants they were looking for are paramedics, combat medical tech or doctor.

I'm not sure if they're recruiting at the moment but if not I would work on trying to get yourself an offshore ticket to prove you are interested in the field and give yourself a better chance.

We had a A&E nurse regected in the last round so I assume competition is fierce.

Good luck

4. Thanks for your replies. Any idea how much an offshore ticket might cost? I can't seem to find anywhere that gives me that info.

5. Hi camspiper. I'm a paramedic and I've also applied to the RFA. There are several groups that are eligible, the first comprising of registered doctors, nurses or paramedics. Getting yourself an offshore medic qualification can vary in cost from anything between £1700 and £3200 (from the research I've done), and then you'll still struggle to get your first offshore job as it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation - need experience/can't get experience without the first job sort of thing. As the RFA will get you your offshore medic qual once your accepted, why would you spend that money? I know that I would struggle to do it on Band 5, even with London weighting.
    I've been through the whole RFA recruiting process now and apart from a couple of outstanding admin components I have a provisional start date in July. It is a long drawn out process, but they have to be sure you'll be right for them don't they.
    During my interview I definitely got the impression that they do appreciate paramedics are a hell of a lot more than just stretcher monkeys, and that in a trauma or serious medical situation we are very good at rapid assessment and treatment.
    Have a good dig around the RFA site to get more info on what will be required of the role. There's also a short youtube interview with one of the med techs.
    Good luck. and make sure you do your homework before interview, as there are questions on competency.

6. Its very low wages for poor conditions for even a newly qualified doctor.

7. Yes, I agree. It is on the Medical Technician page as one of the target groups for the job though. Whatever floats your boat :???: I suppose.

8. Doc.jpg doc 2.jpg Perhaps if you were a Doctor that had to get off side sharpish? :frown:. I'll get me coat...:rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

I don't think that the RFA is expecting to get any Med Tech applicants from registered medical doctors. More likely making sure that no-one otherwise qualified is left out. We live is a world where people go legal for imagined and proxy offences.

10. Hi Soutie, thanks for your reply. Congratulations on your success, bet you can't wait to go!!! You been in the ambulance service long? What do you think was the hardest part of the entry process?

11. Yes, looking forward to it. I'd say that you really need to think about the application form and demonstrate how you fulfill the criteria in the job description. I rewrote mine several times! If your application isn't up to scratch you won't be called forward for interview - as I discovered with my first app which was too rushed. The interview is quite long, but they aren't trying to trip you up and certainly put you at ease. Know your clinical stuff and do your homework about the RFA.

12. Hi Soutie,

Apologies it has taken me so long to acknowledge your reply. Do you know what drugs they have on board ship? Is it just paracetamol and plasters or is more like what we would carry on the ambulances?

13. Hi Soutie,

I meant to say thank you for your advice, it's really valuable and something I will take it on board, big thanks.

14. Fab! thanks for this, I wouldn't have known where to look. This is invaluable.

15. If its anything like when I was on an RFA (Early 80's) as embarked RN MA we had a full dispensary to play with - if you are the only one on board looking after the crew then you are going to be able to diagnose, prescribe and treat just about anything you can think of. Also remembering that the difference between an RFA and RN War Canoe is that the Warship contains fit young sailors who are generally fit and well and in the main under 40 ... on an RFA you could get people a whole lot older in the crew so there is an element of "older generation" diseases and treatments to consider. When at sea its "conservative" medicine - stabilise and contain until you can load them in the air ambulance and get em off - you may have the operating kit ... you ain't going to be using it! So a lot more than Paracetamol and Plasters and even more than you would have in the back of a truck!

16. Nice one! I think your absolutely right. Bit like the ambulance service you could expect to get anything. I'm assuming the RFA would give me that bit extra training to deal with things at sea, on a ship, in the middle of nowhere? Thanks for your reply.

17. The captain gets a five day course and a book: Ships Captain's Medical Guide

18. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

RN docs do occasionally serve on RFA vessels.