Medical slowing me down

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by T5igger, Apr 9, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys,

Around four weeks ago I got a call from the Nurse to book in my medical. She informed me she needed to contact my surgeon regarding a surgery from last year. My surgeon has sent the information over to them yet I've still not received a call from her?

How long should I wait before chasing this up? When I first applied I was put forward for the test within a week and an interview within 5 days and I just feel this is taking so long.

I know everyones experiences are different and things I just want this medical to hurry up! I feel like my life is on hold at the moment.
    Thanks!

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I'd recommend double checking with your GP surgery practice manager to confirm they have provided the information request...or whether they have simply submitted an invoice for Payment in Advance (PIA).

Very often the surgery will claim they have responded, but all they have done is ask for payment. If they have actually responded with the info required, you can usually expect to wait a couple of weeks for the info to be processed and the medical appointment to be booked. If they have only submitted a PIA, you can expect to wait 8-10 weeks, assuming they send the info immediately upon receipt of the payment.

Most surgical procedures, if not a bar to entry, usually involve a 12 month recovery period, incidentally.

• Like Like x 2
  3. hey ninja, thanks for replying!
    I didn't know that about surgery, I had jaw surgery in November to correct an overbite, do you know if that's a bar to surgery or just a year wait?

thanks!

4. Hello again guys.

I've tried researching online and searching on these forums but I cannot find anything about surgeries, are all of these a direct bar to entry?

I had jaw surgery in November to correct an overbite, it was half cosmetic, half medical. I now have metal plates in my jaw but no troubles eating, taking etc.

I know nobody but the Doctor can advise me fully but I'd just like a rough idea on what is and isn't a bar to entry?

Thanks!

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

In most cases, unless it is viewed as minor surgery, the individual has to be 6 to 12 months clear of a successful op before they can be passed fit.

• Like Like x 1