Medical Requirements

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by scottl83, Nov 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I've passed the entrance test and i've been to speak to my Dr,

It's on file that I recreationally used ecstasty when I was younger. IT's around 6 years ago now since I realised and stopped.

How do you think this will affect me, if at all?

2. What can I say, I've been waiting patiently for it to take effect but still no joy. I should sue them for false advertisment!

That's good then, was worried partying too much when younger would be a bit of a problem. Would be typical as that's the only problem on my health record.

3. Sorry I didn't make the distinction. It does say on the forms that they realise people experiment. Not verbatim obviously.

I'll just have to wait see then.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The RN drugs policy is pretty rigid with regard the individual's attitude to drugs & is entirely inflexible if there are criminal convictions related to Class A drugs prior to joining.

That said, it's accepted that the majority of individuals experiment with drugs in some sort of way shape or form prior to joining & it would negate about 50% of viable applicants if we ruled them out entirely - the issue is habitual or excessive drug use prior to joining.

Those that need to see their GP or visit A&E regarding recreational drugs use & have it recorded on their medical records would quite possibly bear further investigation prior to being passed fit for entry.

5. Even a posh boy like David Cameron has taken and sold drugs to other students when he was at Eton. As long as you are not taking banned drugs now, then it should not be an issue.

I've been to university, so you can guess that i've experimented in drugs before. If you guys think all we do at uni is nothing but work, then you are very much mistaken!

6. Further investigation would not be a problem, It's a long time ago. Very much in the past with no likelihood of returning to the present.

I was 17 new to the big city and thought i'd experiment, just the experiment lasted a few years. Then again uni lasts a few years...

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Sadly convictions for the trafficking or supply of drugs are a permanent bar to entry in the Armed Forces, but not necessarily the House of Commons.

It is an accepted fact that graduates are proportionately more likely to have habitually used drugs, whether that's why we let them run the country & indeed the Armed Forces is open to conjecture :wink:

The issue is the inviduals attitude to recreational drugs, not whether they have taken them previously. If you still think it's fine to take banned substances then you're in for a surprise if you wish to serve in the Armed Forces.