Medical requirements - 'proving a negative'.

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Anon123, Aug 20, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,
    This is my first post on this forum and I would appreciate any replies.

To cut to the chase, and without wanting to go in to too much detail, I received a diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome previously however I have had the diagnosis removed. Essentially it was felt that although I had a few personal issues in my life at the time of diagnosis, the diagnosis was incorrect and that the process through which I went to get the diagnosis was not 'proper' - I was 'diagnosed' by a person who had no experience with Asperger's (or any other ASD's) at all.
    So the diagnosis has been formally removed.

I have had a previous episode of depression and I did take an overdose. I've read the medical requirements for the Royal Navy and after digging a bit deeper I came across JSP 346. The episode of depression didn't last longer than 12 weeks and there were obvious 'stressors' that caused the situation. The overdose was not a serious suicide attempt, but a cry for help, as it is in many cases actually as I'm sure that any medics on here will be well aware. Additionally, by the time I plan to apply for the Royal Navy it will be well over three years ago that the experience happened and have been symptom free etc since.

I know I'm kind of looking for confirmation rather than having an actual question as such, but am I right in thinking that although I've had these issues, I won't actually be rejected because of them?

Thank you in advance for any advice, particularly from those that may be on this forum who work in the Royal Navy recruitment medical team.
  2. If it's as you say it is then you should be ok.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Whilst not in any way medically qualified, you've clearly identified that any one of the issues (ASD, self-harm & depression) can be a bar to entry.

The only thing I'd offer with regard practical selection advice, in order to avoid delays: Ensure you take full copies of your entire history relating to each medical occurrence to your initial medical examination together with any additional supporting documentation from medical health professionals.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Thank you for your advice.
    The user "Ninja-Stoker" said that it might be worth considering taking medical notes relating to each of these conditions to my medical with me, to avoid delays. Is this something that you would also advise?
    In some ways I have been a little confused by this advice since I was initially under the impression that a full medical history is requested and examined, however the implication from this advice as well as that in other threads is what actually happens is that clarification is sought from a candidate's GP if any issues arise (ie in the discussion between the candidate and the person taking the medica,l regarding the candidate's history). What can I expect to happen regarding requests for my medical history?
    Thanks again.
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Applicants sign a consent form for the release of their medical records on the Medical Questionnaire they are required to complete. The service doesn't obtain hard copies of the individual's entire medical record initially, however their medical history is screened at the medical examination.

Candidates attending the initial AFCO medical examination are advised, in the medical appointment letter, to bring copies of their medical notes relating to any condition listed in the AFCO Form 5 (The advice & guidance eligibility factsheet issued by the AFCO which lists all the conditions you mention and many more besides).

For those who don't provide adequate information upfront from a qualified professional source, the application is suspended and the individual is placed "Temporarily Medically Unfit" (TMU) whilst a written request is sent to the candidates GP. Generally this can add several weeks, if not months to the process. In the event there is an element of doubt, there maybe a referral to a service consultant for further tests, (if applicable) or the case maybe referred for a definitive decision to be determined by the Senior Medical Officer.

It'll save a lot of time and angst if you play ball from the outset to avoid delays rather than try to seek potential loopholes.
  6. Oh yeah, seeking loopholes, at least to me, doesn't seem like an entirely honest thing to do in this context at least.
    I'll get my gp to type up my medical records relating to the 'conditions' mentioned above and I'll take them with me, saving everyone time.

Thank you for your advice.
    • Like Like x 1