Medical records

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by GrapeVine, Feb 2, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Quick question. What stage of our selection do our medical records get collected. Is it at our initial medical ?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You are advised to obtain a copy of your medical records relating to any condition declared on the medical questionnaire otherwise you'll add several weeks, possibly months whilst the relevant records are obtained by the AFCO Medical Examiner.

Your medical records are scrutinised about four weeks before you commence initial Naval training. Any anomalies or omissions can result in discharge during the first 56 days of training. I've seen a fair few discharged under these circumstances after waiting several years to join so the advice is simply take no chances.

3. Sorry to bring up an old thread. When I did the medical and filled out my forms I declared I had athsma as a kid and had steriods two before the age of 6(anything after this was a bar to entry). I am the sort of person that worries about stupid stuff.

When they review my medical records could any of the service doctors make me PMU because of when the steroids were prescribed or because of the type of medication? If so when would I be informed? I'm sure I'm worrying for nothing as it was all declared but when I apply for jobs I get as nervous as hell.

I know it's pretty stupid to worry about it but my joining date's the 15th june, looking forward to going and don't want anything to spoil it.

Edited because I am a Mong and can not spell for ****, may even still have mistakes now.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  4. Thanks AD, that's put my mind at ease.

5. May be a bit of a daft question, would i need medical records for when i broke my arm when i was 10 and for the eczema i had when i was at school(7 years)?

6. Ninja_Stoker

Yes to the break. You'll also need to prove you have not been treated for eczema in the last 3 years ish.

7. Ok, would i just go to the Doctors and get the records from them? Would i send it in with my medical questionnaire?

I probably should have just called the afco!

thanks!

8. Ninja_Stoker

If you want to avoid delays, take the information to your medical examination. Speak to you GP surgery practice manager - after speaking to your AFCO.

• Like Like x 2
  9. My son had a delay of 8 weeks because we didn't take the medical records for a hair line fracture when he was 4. Do as NS says to save a delay.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

10. I will be getting as many records as possible, do not want to delay anything!

11. If the records are scrutinised 4 weeks before joining, why not just have them checked properly the first time? Could that not save time and maybe money weeding out medically unfit sooner rather than later. I'd be pissed if I waited 2 years only to find I had forgotten something significant.

12. Ninja_Stoker

The onus is on the individual to answer all the questions, as advised, in consultation with their parents and/or GP. We see lots of people who get discharged having "forgotten" to declare, but comparatively few (none) who admit to deliberately withholding information. Spooky or what?