Medical records

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by rikbones, Feb 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi guys, im going to my AFCO tomorrow and have a quick question if you wouldnt mind answering...

im 29 years old and really want to join the navy but when i was 20 and was working for a firm i stupidly told the doctor i was suffering from anxiety to get signed off work for the summer to hang out with my mates... totally immature and stupid i know, but now im wondering if this will hamper me joining up. im wondering if i should mention it. im just hoping that stupid mistake doesnt cost me dearly.

does anyone know if this will affect me?

any replies will be appreciated.

2. Was it a good summer?

3. lol, yes, but not worth being denied entry to the navy for!

4. seriously though, does anyone know if this will be an issue? or if i should mention it? i've been training hard for a month now in anticipation and would be gutted if it was all in vain

many thanks

5. Sorry to come off the fence on this but, Christ, that was a really stupid thing to do. Navy things aside, that is now on your permanent medical record. Life insurance, mortgages, pensions - all these things can involve examining your medical documents.

Regarding the RN, you may find yourself referred to a consultant psychiatrist for an opinion as your anxiety would have been sufficient to prevent you going to work. Admitting that you did it all for a summer off is unlikely to help your case as it doesn't suggest a great deal of responsibility.

I've no doubt you would pass the psychiatric assessment, if you are referred. However, you have made life a lot more complicated for yourself.

6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Doc, since when has doing something stupid prevented anyone from joining up? I thought you had to be stupid to want to join up anyway... :? :lol:

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

True, otherwise we'd have to use the Army Red Caps or RAF Snowdrops to help stamp out Naval crime. :lol:

8. Quite right and with better epaulets pmsl

9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

RNC: WTF?!