Medical records?

Hi everyone

I had 2 epileptic seizures 15 years ago so apparently I am permanently unfit as any more than 1 is permanently barred. Not on any meds.

All I'm asking is how does the medical work? Do I just tell the doctor whatever conditions I have or do they actually access the medical records held by my GP? Because if so I can just register at another GP and not tell them about my epilepsy (essentially have a clean slate). I highly doubt that I will have a random seizure during service.

Please spare me the lectures, if you think its evil and wrong for me to withhold the information information then don't bother, just want to know about whether my medical records are accessed.

AuldYin

Badgeman
when you register at a new GP surgery, they will obtain your medical records so you won't have a 'clean slate'

when you register at a new GP surgery, they will obtain your medical records so you won't have a 'clean slate'
They ask you to fill in a medical form and declare any existing conditions you have. You can elect to leave it blank. GPs cannot share medical records without your permission. That's the whole point of them asking you to fill out the questionnaire when registering with them.

soleil

War Hero
You mustn't lie in your application.

Candidates who, prior to entry, deliberately withhold information of a pre-existing medical condition are discharged Fraudulent Entry.

How old were you when you had these seizures?

Have you actually applied to join?

redmonkey

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
Have you ever heard of integrity?

It might be worth looking it up. It is one of those things the RN values.

Have you ever heard of integrity?

It might be worth looking it up. It is one of those things the RN values.
If you read my post it did say spare me the moral lecturing...

with the way people get found PMU because they had an achy knee 20 years ago I wouldnt be surprised if people don't mention any ancient history about themselves to the doctor.

soleil

War Hero
I think that you should apply and be scrupulously honest.

There is a complexity involved in the regulations on eligibility for people who have had seizures, a complexity best understood by the medical staff who make the decisions and so I would suggest that you get into the early stages of an application and then be totally honest - let them decide on your eligibility rather than allow yourself to decide.

I think that you should apply and be scrupulously honest.

There is a complexity involved in the regulations on eligibility for people who have had seizures, a complexity best understood by the medical staff who make the decisions and so I would suggest that you get into the early stages of an application and then be totally honest - let them decide on your eligibility rather than allow yourself to decide.
if thats what you think then I shouldnt bother. having more than 1 epileptic fit is PMU, regardless of how long ago it was and there is no appeal for that. No complexity, its as simple as that.

soleil

War Hero
if thats what you think then I shouldnt bother. having more than 1 epileptic fit is PMU, regardless of how long ago it was and there is no appeal for that. No complexity, its as simple as that.
There is a complexity to them because they allow for different interpretations in the cases of Rolandic epilepsy and provoked seizures. This is what I meant by complexity.

There is a complexity to them because they allow for different interpretations in the cases of Rolandic epilepsy and provoked seizures. This is what I meant by complexity.
well mine were unprovoked. Plus I've had a read about eligibility for the RN and armed forces and 2 seizures = barred, regardless of type.

I did read your post. I was just pointing out the qualities in a person that the RN looks for in a person.

Integrity is mentioned a few times in the RN websites.
alright well hats off to you for being very full of integrity

where is the medical performed anyway? In the AFCO?

Lovablesnowman

Midshipman
Slightly related question. When you get into actual training the medical guys look at your actual medical records yes? What if you don't give permission for them to be released (as is your right under law). You're just kicked out I presume?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Slightly related question. When you get into actual training the medical guys look at your actual medical records yes? What if you don't give permission for them to be released (as is your right under law). You're just kicked out I presume?
One of the criteria for joining is consent to release of medical records so no consent no entry. There is a second medical, more in depth, at Raleigh and the Principle Medical Officer will look through your records as well as the actual medical.

Anything found but undeclared, as Sol says, discharge for fraudulent entry.

redmonkey

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
Part of the medical is a phone call with a nurse and from there the answers are reviewed prior to a medical with a doctor. I had mine at the AFCO.

The are lots of threads on here relating to this and how the recruiting process works, including medical appeals.

Lovablesnowman

Midshipman
One of the criteria for joining is consent to release of medical records so no consent no entry. There is a second medical, more in depth, at Raleigh and the Principle Medical Officer will look through your records as well as the actual medical.

Anything found but undeclared, as Sol says, discharge for fraudulent entry.
What if you genuinely forgot or where unaware of something on your records? You can hardly be blamed for forgetting something when you were a child surely?

Waspie

War Hero
alright well hats off to you for being very full of integrity

where is the medical performed anyway? In the AFCO?
Surprised you don't know you seem to know everything else.

You come here wanting advice/information. Then throw it back in folks faces.

Best advice - Join the Army!!

redmonkey

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
@Waspie I'm amazed that I managed to answer in a calm manner.

I have seen a lot of people who I think how the heck did you get through the careers office door let alone the training.

My D.O probably thought the same at some stage.